Getting up on a Sky Ski?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting up on a Sky Ski?

Does anyone have any tips on how to get up on a Sky Ski? My buddy just got in to this and has invited me out this weekend but I have never tried it. I am stoked about trying it out but I know nothing about this sport.

Whats the key to getting up and staying in control?

Getting up is actually pretty simple - if you've ever water skiied before. Same principal - foil out in front of you, nose out of the water. The tricky part is once you get up. If you sit with your back straight up (which it will feel natural to do), the foil will have a tendency to rise up all the way out of the water and you will splash down hard and loose control (at least until you know how to control your up/down motion). The easiest way to get the hang of the balance is to start with your chest as close to your knees as possible, and your arms/hands out in front of you - right in front of your eyes. Its a pretty comical position to watch, but it works. This will keep you level, and as you get the feel for your balance, you can start to try sitting up. Also, make sure the boat driver knows what they are doing - they should go as straight as possible, helping you to keep any slack out of the rope. Beginning you don't need to go very fast - well under 20 if I remember - just enough to keep you moving (like12-15? - but I learned behind a boat with a broken speedometer).

Once your up in a sitting position (which might take a while) - you can start testing the up/down control. To do this, use your arms - lower the rope to go up out of the water, and raise the rope to go back down.

Thats about where my advice stops - the rest is up to your experimentation. My finance is hella good and could probably write the how-to on tricks, jumping, flipping, etc (her family still has one of the original airchairs from 15 years ago). If you get too crazy (or want to be on the safe side), be sure to wear a helmet or be strapped in really tight - big metal objects hurt/are deadly. My advice starting out is to wear nose plugs - because if you don't, your sinuses will be clogged with water.

Post some pics of your adventure - its a really fun ride.

Comment

Thanks jschnip. Hopefully I will remember all of this.

I have a feeling I may get addicted to "the dark side". Too bad those suckers cost over $1000.00.

I will post some pictures later.

Comment

I have a sky ski and have found it dificult to master to the point where the frustation doesn't exceed the fun factor. Whatever you do, don't do what I did. I was frustrated and decided to just launch myself, 17 stitches on the crown of my head later, I had decided to buy a helmet before my next "flip".

Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Matt,
          Do you ever get to ride during the week? I spend a couple of days a month up in Dallas for business but I cannot stay over the weekend. I could show you guys so tips to keep progressing.

David
          If its not fun, Why do it?

Comment

Working...
          X