Hydrofoil - Beginner Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydrofoil - Beginner Advice

I was hoping to get some advice on hydrofoils. The only time I have ridden was over 20 years ago, just for one afternoon. I do not know anyone that has one, so I am not in a position to borrow one to test. From the reading I have done, it appears there have been some improvements throughout the years.

Concerns:
    1. Buying an old junker that is obsolete, resulting in the interest to fade quickly.
    2. Buying a new top of the line foil that is too difficult for a beginner, resulting in me selling it used for a considerable loss.
    3. Buying a new basic foil that I outgrow immediately, wanting a better one.

Due to the costs of the foils, I want to make the best decision (knowing that there is not a perfect solution).

Thoughts?

Looks like you're not too far from me. I had a hydra foil back in the day. I'm no expert,but I would think any would be sufficient. Think about it? Guys were doing flips on the old style ones. So the equipment isn't the problem. Buy an old one for cheap 200 to 300 dollars. Once you decide whether or not it's something you want to pursue. Then move on or buy a new fancy one.
    I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

I am with Robert, but look into one from the early 2000's Air Chair and Sky Ski had the adjustable rear foil at that point you can progress. Then pop for something newer/new. We did for about 5 years but switched to surfing.... Good luck with your search

Comment

I've been considering getting a hydrofoil as well but the general consensus from people i've talked to is to avoid getting a low end setup. A few people have suggested a used Skyski ProSS since they're somewhat affordable and can be upgraded as you progress. I've been trying to find one for a few months now but the going rate for a used one in Canada is $1400+ which is out of the budget. I've had no luck even finding a older cheapy just to get going.

At this point, i'm probably going to have to scrap the idea. Considering i've never even been on one, i can't see myself spending that much just to try it.

Comment

Buy a nice one that is used. A $300-$400 one will be a piece of crap that you will not come close to enjoying as much as a nice high end one. Huge difference between the 2000 gear and the 2010+ gear. No need to get a $6000 rig. Something in the $2000 range will be a good place to start...especially if it is used. I have been out of the market for the past 3+ yrs so I am not sure what is out there now. That said, spend a little money, do some research (www.foilforum.com) and get something no older than 4yrs old. You can upgrade the wings later if you want to.

Once you get it, start SLOW. No need to go over 12 MPH until you can fly the wing at 12 MPH. Foilforum is a great resource for teaching you everything you need to know.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I will update thread as we move forward.

Robert-we are just downstream from you!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X