Help on Used Air Chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on Used Air Chair

I am considering purchasing a used Air Chair from a guy at work and I (nor he) know nothing about what it is worth or if it is worth me buying. According to some reading I've done, it is the Orange Air Chair from the mid-90's. The entire foil and T-bar has been polished (black coating removed) and the entire setup is in great shape. It is the exact Orange Air Chair as the one in the pictures in the first post below...

Foil Forum Orange Air Chair

Please let me know what you think it is worth and also if you think it is worth buying as a starter setup? He is thinking selling for $500 would be fair. What do you think? I'm just not in the market to spend $1K+ right now to get into the sport.

Thanks

Originally posted by jmitchell View Post
    I am considering purchasing a used Air Chair from a guy at work and I (nor he) know nothing about what it is worth or if it is worth me buying. According to some reading I've done, it is the Orange Air Chair from the mid-90's. The entire foil and T-bar has been polished (black coating removed) and the entire setup is in great shape. It is the exact Orange Air Chair as the one in the pictures in the first post below...

Foil Forum Orange Air Chair

Please let me know what you think it is worth and also if you think it is worth buying as a starter setup? He is thinking selling for $500 would be fair. What do you think? I'm just not in the market to spend $1K+ right now to get into the sport.

Thanks
    That ski is not worth more than $200. IMO
    If its not fun, Why do it?

Comment

You need about $1200 to get into the sport....and that is used starter stuff. A high end Tbar costs about $2500 and a good set of front/rear wings will set you back another $1K for both. (somewhat cheaper used though) Anything else is a waste of money IMO.

The good news is that everyone can use the same foil. My 7 yr old rides mine no probs.

I guess you could get the $500 used one from the 90's but they have come a LONG way since then. Spend the dinero and get the right one the first time...otherwise, you will either think it sucks and not do it much or will end up upgrading in the near future. You spent $50-60K on the boat, may as well have the right toys to tow behind it.

Comment

Let that one pass it's a relic. X2 on Bakes advice.

Brian

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'll pass on this one.

Comment

Get something like this to learn on then just upgrade the t bar and wings when your riding progresses. If you buy any air chair or cast pro sky ski you'll be wasting your money. You'll save more in the long run by getting a better ski from the start.......guaranteed.

http://www.foilforum.com/forums/show...i-Pro-Like-New

Comment

What about something like this...

http://hartford.craigslist.org/boa/2536962706.html

Comment

That's the same ski I learned on. Definitely better than the other one you were looking at but..............that ski won't really take you beyond the basics and will be hard to upgrade. It's really tuff to tell people to suck it up and spend the dough on a better foil because it all depends on their motivation to progress. If you're just going to cruise around, do some wake jumps, and basic inverts that ski will will be fine. If you're the type of person who knows that you will eventually want to throw some bigger tricks that ski will hold you back.....it may even mentally hold you back because one you start getting better you'll know that ski can't get it done and you'll be reluctant to try anything new/harder. Spend some time on foil forum.com and see what everyone is riding. You'll be challenged to find an air chair. (except some of the new prototype ski's). There's a reason. You will learn on that ski then sell it so you can get something that will perform better in no time. Take everyone's advice and cut to the chase and get something better that can be upgraded.

It can be $550 dollars wasted.......or 50% of a great entry level ski. Hopefully others will chime in on this but I wish I never would have bought the air chair and went straight for the sky ski pro as my first ski.

Comment

its worth spending the extra money. those air chairs ride so rough, and hold you back. good to learn on but that's it. we love our skyski 38le but it was pricey.

Comment

Here's a pretty good starter ski.

http://www.foilforum.com/forums/show...S-Pro-For-Sale

Comment

Working...
                    X