2 Vent Heater Core - casualty of the winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Vent Heater Core - casualty of the winter

I had a casualty yesterday while getting the boat summerized. I hooked it up to water and let it run for a few minutes and heard water coming from the front of the boat. I lifted the cushion and the heater was leaking like crazy. Apparently I didn't get all of the water out of the heater core when I winterized it and it must've froze and cracked a pipe or 2 in there. This year I will blow some compressed air through it or something to try and get it all.

Where's the cheapest place to get a new heater core for it? I believe it's a heater craft (2 vent). I will call my dealer tomorrow and ask them but thought peeps on here might know so I can have a price to compare to before he gives me one.

I didn't let the casualty keep us from hitting the lake though - I went and got a 5/8" coupler and connected the 2 hoses together so we could continue on with our journey.

It's amazing how many things you learn to do to extend your fun when something goes wrong. Heaters are overrated anyways
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
      It's amazing how many things you learn to do to extend your fun when something goes wrong. Heaters are overrated anyways
      Tell the wife that! Since the new boat has one and she's already used it somehow i doubt she'd agree with you!
      "Call me anything you want ... Just don't call me NOBODY!

Comment

Maybe in Texas they are overrated but not here in Colorado!

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
          I had a casualty yesterday while getting the boat summerized. I hooked it up to water and let it run for a few minutes and heard water coming from the front of the boat. I lifted the cushion and the heater was leaking like crazy. Apparently I didn't get all of the water out of the heater core when I winterized it and it must've froze and cracked a pipe or 2 in there. This year I will blow some compressed air through it or something to try and get it all.

Where's the cheapest place to get a new heater core for it? I believe it's a heater craft (2 vent). I will call my dealer tomorrow and ask them but thought peeps on here might know so I can have a price to compare to before he gives me one.

I didn't let the casualty keep us from hitting the lake though - I went and got a 5/8" coupler and connected the 2 hoses together so we could continue on with our journey.
          Timmy
          Take the core out and take it your local parts store-napa, carquest... ask them if they have a core for 1984 I think ford ranger. But auto part store should be able to help and it will be cheaper then buying from a marine store.
          15 Escalade ESV-Black
          08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

Originally posted by samw View Post
            Timmy
            Take the core out and take it your local parts store-napa, carquest... ask them if they have a core for 1984 I think ford ranger. But auto part store should be able to help and it will be cheaper then buying from a marine store.
            correction,
            After doing a little googling it is a mid 70's ford F150.
            15 Escalade ESV-Black
            08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

Shoot, we have a heater in our boat here if Florida, use it almost every night we are out.

I agree, I bet you could source one from Modine or a parts place for a lot less.

Comment

Thanks Samw - the '73-74 Ford F100 core looks just about right and it's ~$30. I will try taking the actual core out of the box and see what I can come up with because I'm sure a heater craft one will probably be $100 or more...

Comment

The Napa P#660-3100 is a close match. The only diff is the pipes will not fit into the same slots. If it were my own, I would take the tin-snips to the case and make it work.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I'll have to take a look at that one too, thanks!

Comment

Timmy
                      Did you get the heater core? Which one worked for?

Sam
                      15 Escalade ESV-Black
                      08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

I haven't gotten it yet, prbly get around to it tomorrow. I will post up which one works though for sure!

Comment

Ok, I picked up the Napa unit that chpthrill suggested and that was going to require modification. I ended up with one out of a 1976 Ford F100 with a V8. It fits perfectly, was only $20.99 and has a lifetime warranty!

Comment

Ok, I picked up the Napa unit that chpthrill suggested and that was going to require modification. I ended up with one out of a 1976 Ford F100 with a V8. It fits perfectly, was only $20.99 and has a lifetime warranty!
                            You think this would work as an aftermarket add on?

My boat is without a heater and I'd like to add one....

Comment

Thanks Samw - the '73-74 Ford F100 core looks just about right and it's ~$30. I will try taking the actual core out of the box and see what I can come up with because I'm sure a heater craft one will probably be $100 or more...
                              That's because the faulty one is marine grade.....
                              "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Working...
                              X