ignition problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignition problem

I have a 2002 Tige 22i. I love my boat but have a couple problems with it.
    #1 annoying little problem is like everyone else my gas guage is terrible. I 've read everyones solutions and just can't believe that Tige doesn't have an answer for this
    #2 I am experiencing an intermittent problem. Sometimes after letting the boat warm up for approx. 5 minutes and taking off the boat beeps and then shuts off. At this point the ignition switch, fuel pump and horn go dead but the rest of the electrical system still works (Radio,blower, accs). After about 5 minutes the ignition switch powers back up, the horn works and i can hear the fuel pump again. At this point the boat will run.
    Has anyone else had a problem with this. Can anyone tell me what to check. I've taken the boat to the dealer and another marina and they cannot get the boat to do it while there

Thanks
    Bob

I had a similar problem with my 03 22v. I took it to the dealer twice (3hr drive) and they could not duplicate the problem. Finally, it happened again so I took some pictures of the pontoon boat towing me back to my dock and sent them to my dealer. I explained that everyone on the lake was laughing at the Tige that had to be towed in by pontoon boat! The following week by dealer drove to my boathouse (3 hours!) and spent all day until he duplicated the problem. It turned out to be a loose connection in the wiring harness. I have not had any problems since!

Tip
    -Tip

Comment

I could believe this if it weren't for the fact that everytime it happens it seems as if it is 5 minutes of down time and then it starts again. This leads me to believe that there is some sort of thermal relay that kicks in then back out. Problem is no one knows what could be doing it and of course it doesn't happen everytime. If anyone has heard of anything please help!!!

Comment

Had a similar problem with my 03 20v and it ended up being a loose pin in the wire harness. It sounds like the circuits that are going dead are powered when the ignition is on. Blower and some radios are not powered by the ignition switch. That narrows the problem down to the switch and the switch circuit. I would start with replacing the ignition switch and eliminate that. If problem continues then get a 12 volt test light and test each switch lead for power and ground. Make notes on what color wire does what, then when the problem occurs repeat the test and see which wire is not grounded or powered as it should be. Tell the dealer your findings and let them find and repair the short. It sounds like your problem is at a harness connector. If the pins in the connector do not make good contact then its a source of higher resistance and that causes the poor connection to heat up until the two pins do not contact enough to power the circuit. Then when it cools it will start working again. When looking at the connector look for any burn marks on the pins or the plastic connector.

(apologies for long reply, I'm on my third Red Bull for the day)

Gizmo
        "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."

Comment

What engine do you have?

Comment

ignition problem

I have A 350 MAG WITH 315HP, SER #OM310639. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated. I will try them all.
            Thanks
            Bob

Comment

There are no thermal relays in the system.
              We had a huge problem with the 10 pin cannon plug in 02". This is the main harness plug mounted on the back of your motor. loosen the hose clamp that holds it together and pull the plug apart. Check all the male pins, be sure they are all spread apart at least 1/16". The pins are slit down the middle and if they are not opened up properly then they will lose contact due to thermal expantion.
              an easy way to check this is turn your key on and whiggle the plug, if things stop working then you found the problem. Merc actually calls this "the whiggle" test.
              Greg Denton
              former service mgr. Tige Watersports July 95-July 05

Comment

ignition problem

Alleluia!!!!
                I tried everyconnection under the dash and the ignition key -- Nothin. The next day after your reply the engine went dead again. I tried the wiggle test !!!! It worked!!!!

Thanks for everything

Bob

Comment

so did you have to adjust the pins inside the plug?
                  Greg Denton
                  former service mgr. Tige Watersports July 95-July 05

Comment

I understand this thread is 10+ years old but can someone tell me more about this "10 pin cannon plug" to try the wiggle test on? I have an '02 21V with similar problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X