leaking transmission fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaking transmission fluid

Hey all, question for you. I changed out my transmission cooler, filled tranny with ATF, ran her in the water for about an hour, then came home. Filled tranny again, thinking the fluid just hadn't circulated through the system before running it. Went out 5 days later, and quite a bit of the fluid (over a quart) is in the bilge, with the boat just sitting on the trailer. I just cleaned the bilge, hoping to be able to see where it is leaking from, but would anyone have any educated guesses of where it may be leaking while just sitting? Thanks!

Since you did not have the problem before changing the cooler. I would suggest looking at the lines closely where they connect to the cooler. And I would look at the hoses that feedback up to the transmission. If it leaked while just sitting you should be able to find fresh fluid in the area that it is leaking from. Could some of this band fluid that leaked out while you changed out the cooler?
    Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Thanks Wakeman. I know the lines at the cooler are nice and tight...didn't think until I read your post about the OTHER end of the lines where they go into the tranny. I'll be refilling it today, and with a clean bilge will hopefully be able to spot the source. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

The other source of leaks has been the shifter seal. When listed it can leak from that area too.

Comment

Problem solved! Something you all may want to check on you boats...the hose running from my transmission to the cooler runs in the bilge right up against the threaded thru hill fitting for the speedo triducer. After 12 seasons of this, the hose had worn through. I'll be routing the new hose a different way ��

Comment

Mine runs the same way. I have always felt the rubbing would some day rub thru.

Confirmed

Comment

Working...
            X