X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milky Oil

2015 Z3
    Raptor 400 Engine

I went to change the oil today and found that the oil is very milky. Definitely water in the oil. Any suggestions on where to IMG_3840.jpg
    begin with troubleshooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch. On a Raptor I'd say your oil cooler is cracked. I'd be looking at your trans fluid as well and see if its pink milkshake(oil and trans cooler are both with water cooled). It doesn't say where you are from on you profile.

Where was the boat kept this winter and how was it winterized??

There's a very small chance it could be a head/gasket issue....but I've only seen coolant make it into the cylinders and start blowing out the exhaust, never made it into the oil.

Comment

I live in Nebraska.
      I had room in my shop at work this winter so I didn’t winterize it. The shop is heated and we work there every day so I don’t think it froze.

The picture was of the oil that first came out of the engine and the oil filter was full of the same oil. So it would seem like to me the issue started at some point last summer since the water is mixed through the entire system.

Last summer I did get a 4239 error code. I changed one of the O2 sensors and the error code cleared. Not sure if the two are related, if the O2 sensor would’ve failed because of water?

Comment

Well I've seen this issue 2 or 3 times now and its always been the oil cooler from some freeze damage. Trans coolers goes as well and sometimes the coolant heat exchanger get damaged as well.

Whats the coolant level like in the overflow/degas bottle??

02 sensors is a fairly common issue and shouldn't be related.

Comment

The coolant overflow bottle is empty.

Comment

Change the oil(might have to flush it a few times). Top off coolant with PROPOLYENE glycol. See if you are going thru coolant.

Have you pulled the red dipstick at trans and inspected the condit I on of the ATF??

Comment

Send an oil sample off to see if it contains glycol. This may point to an internal failure or some point thats cooled with lake water, if there is a point. Im not intimate with that engine.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The transmission fluid looks good.

Comment

Do you run it in saltwater?
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

No saltwater.
                    I got the oil flushed out and replaced and topped off the coolant. I’m going to run it on a garden hose for awhile and monitor the oil.

Comment

I ran the boat on the garden hose for 45 mins. No change in color to the oil. I hope to get it on the lake next weekend and run it hard. Or does anyone think that’s a bad idea?

Comment

How does the K&N filter look? is it still pink/red or is it a white color? if white, it came in through the intake.
                        Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by mdltn View Post
                          I ran the boat on the garden hose for 45 mins. No change in color to the oil. I hope to get it on the lake next weekend and run it hard. Or does anyone think that’s a bad idea?

I wouldn't start by running it hard out the gate. Would run it with no ballast and check oil after running. Then put 1/4 to 1/2 ballast in and run some more and check oil. If it doesn't milk up then ballast up start surfing and still check oil.. Thats just my opinion tho.

Comment

The K&N filter does look to be pretty much all white

Comment

Thats normal color for the air filter and not considered white.
                              Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
                              X