Off topic rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off topic rant

So my neighbor has a 28ft express cruiser with a mercruiser motor in it, and apparently it has an Alpha 1 drive on it. Who’s bright idea was it to put the water impeller in the out drive? I mean. Boats like that are made to sit in the water. Not be towed around. YoU can’t fix the impeller without taking the entire lower unit off the drive. Unbelievable

We all complain about stupid boat nuances but I think this one takes the cake.

If you can’t tell I’m going Corona Virus crazy at this point, this may be my sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know very little about I/O's but I do believe they're all like that. Must be a reason..

Comment

It's actually not too bad to drop the bottom half of the outdrive. If it hasn't been done yet, probably a good idea to pull it out and replace the bellows anyway.

Comment

The Bravos aren’t made that way. Probably so they didn’t have to put a water pump on the motor maybe?

I’m sure there is a reason. Just hard to fix on a big boat that sits in the water

To his misfortune, he replaced the bellows 2 years ago and didn’t do this at the time. Shame on his mechanic for not calling it out.

Comment

Not all outdrives run the impeller in the outdrive but a lot do(Volvo liked to run them belt or crank driven on the motor depending on the years). The older OMCs are much easier. Three bolts on an outer cover on the drive gains you access to the impeller.

Theres a reason drive services are expensive

Comment

Heh. Yah I’m sure Freeheel. I tend to replace my impeller every couple of years and keep a spare one on the boat even. Putting something that is on a service cycle like that on the out drive is heck on big boats that never leave the water :P

Oh well.

Comment

I don’t miss my old I/O for that as the #1 reason. They are a pia to work on. Few years back I replaced the bellows on a buddy’s boat to help him out as all the shops were months behind. Reminded me very quickly while I’ll never have another I/O.

Comment

Hahahahahaha...yes, the Mercruiser Alpha 1 is a turd...but just so you have a really good comparison to why OMC Cobras are no longer around, look up one of the King Cobra outdrive diagrams. Its literally like punching your nuts, repeatedly. For a basic service on an Alpha to include bellows, gimbal bearing and seal and drive oil change we charge around $1400. Its variable because we mostly do ocean boats and some owners have no clue about maintenance leaving their drives unserviced for years. We think of outdrives as the Land Rovers of the marine world; reliability obviously isn't why you have one.

The Alpha 1, both gen 1 and gen 2, use impellers in the drives because some engineer thought he should overcomplicate things. Most of those drives are behind 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder and small V8's. The water pump in the drive is okay for flow needs of those engines but for 2 years that same Mercruiser retard engineer okayed strapping a big block in front of them. To complicate things more, a few models with fresh water cooling systems also employ a bravo style belt driven water pump to keep the coolant cool. I've invented new curse words working on those pieces of compost.

I approached one of their engineers at a marine engine convention in Vegas a few years back and allowed him access to my thoughts on Mercruiser's regular marine engine design team as compared to their race engine team. He blamed the boat manufacturers for service access problems, I blamed his 84" waist citing couch engineering was rampant in his department. I think I actually saw steam from his ears as he stroked out in front of me.
                Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

I approached one of their engineers at a marine engine convention in Vegas a few years back and allowed him access to my thoughts on Mercruiser's regular marine engine design team as compared to their race engine team. He blamed the boat manufacturers for service access problems, I blamed his 84" waist citing couch engineering was rampant in his department. I think I actually saw steam from his ears as he stroked out in front of me.[/QUOTE]

^^^this just made my weekend.

Comment

And now I’m so happy I posted this. Thank you Boatwakes. Thank you so much.

Comment

" I blamed his 84" waist citing couch engineering was rampant in his department." LMAO. Classic

Comment

Working...
                      X