No power to fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No power to fuel pump

I have a 2006 22V. I determined using a voltage meter that there is no power to the fuel pump. Power to the pump seemed to be intermittent for awhile, when I was testing it, but now is out altogether. Suggestions for chasing this down? Thank you for the help.

Start at the fuse panel and check the fuse. Then validate it has power going into it with the key on, and has power coming out. Then check continuity from the fuse panel to the pump.
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks. Working on it this evening it seems to be intermittent. It will start and run for awhile, die and repeat a number of times. Each time when it restarts I can hear the fuel pump running when I turn the key and before trying to start it. Then after a number of starts and dies, it would not restart and I could not hear the fuel pump running at the key turn. So it appears to be intermittent 12V to the fuel pump. I checked the fuse and it is good. I'll do the continuity check in the morning. I appreciate the suggestions.

Comment

I want to say there is a screen filter on that setup for some reason. Let me look into it. Maybe it is overheating and shutting off.

Didn't want to add another post so I edited it.

Here is the filter i am thinking of on the high pressure side. Remember your boat has a lower pressure and a high pressure pump.
        https://marineenginedepot.com/efi-g-...-and-cannister
        Last edited by KoolAid; 03-26-2020, 02:33 PM.
        Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by texastige22v View Post
          I have a 2006 22V. I determined using a voltage meter that there is no power to the fuel pump. Power to the pump seemed to be intermittent for awhile, when I was testing it, but now is out altogether. Suggestions for chasing this down? Thank you for the help.
          Check the fuel pump relay as well. I had similar problems last year and it ended up being the relay on top of the engine (22i).

Comment

Originally posted by mikemcclain8 View Post
            Check the fuel pump relay as well. I had similar problems last year and it ended up being the relay on top of the engine (22i).
            Thats a very good point! The Tahoes and Suburban's in the early 2000's would have dying issues like that because of the relay.
            Oh Yeah!

Comment

I believe I have determined it is the fuel pump relay. I confirmed the wiring is good with a continuity test. When it failed / died, I swapped the fuel pump relay with the ignition switch relay and it has worked without dying since. I have ordered two new relays to replace them both. Thanks for the great suggestions and help!

Comment

Originally posted by texastige22v View Post
                I believe I have determined it is the fuel pump relay. I confirmed the wiring is good with a continuity test. When it failed / died, I swapped the fuel pump relay with the ignition switch relay and it has worked without dying since. I have ordered two new relays to replace them both. Thanks for the great suggestions and help!
                Glad we could help!

Comment

What's up guys. I'm glad I came across this post. I am having very similar problems and its very annoying. I have a 2000 21V. If any of you have read some of my previous posts you would know that Ive done a bunch to my boat. I'll give a quick run down of the maintenance Ive done and then list the issue I'm having with the fuel pump. So far I've drained the tank, changed the fuel filter, changed plugs, plug wires, ignition coil, distributor cap, rotor, transmission sensor, all fluids, coolant temp sensor, Intake air temperature, and throttle body position sensor. After all the maintenance I thought I corrected the issues I was having.
                  So long story short after about three hours of running the boat it died on me while running about 35 mph. I got it cranked but the fuel smelled lean. Rode about a 1/2 mile down the river and it died again. After unplugging just about every harness and plugging them back in I was able to get it back started. I made it back to the dock but I never went over half throttle. While sitting at the dock, waiting for the trailer to get backed in, the boat died again. I couldn't get it to crank and had to load the boat without power.
                  Got back home and changed the TPS, IAT, and Coolant temp sensor. I also checked the fuel pump fuse again, just in case a gremlin caused it to blow, and it was still intact. Normally whenever the key was turned the on position the fuel pump would prime for about 2 seconds. This time it did not. I put a meter on the wires going to the fuel pump and my wife turned the ignition on and still no volts. Just make sure the fuel pump worked I connected it straight to the battery and it came on. I then assumed it was the relays. I changed them and still nothing.
                  Engine rolls over and starter is strong just no fuel. I haven't checked the oil sender yet but is there anything else that could be causing the fuel pump not to get a signal to turn on? I am beating my head against the wall to trying to figure this out.

Comment

Originally posted by Goofyr44 View Post
                    What's up guys. I'm glad I came across this post. I am having very similar problems and its very annoying. I have a 2000 21V. If any of you have read some of my previous posts you would know that Ive done a bunch to my boat. I'll give a quick run down of the maintenance Ive done and then list the issue I'm having with the fuel pump. So far I've drained the tank, changed the fuel filter, changed plugs, plug wires, ignition coil, distributor cap, rotor, transmission sensor, all fluids, coolant temp sensor, Intake air temperature, and throttle body position sensor. After all the maintenance I thought I corrected the issues I was having.
                    So long story short after about three hours of running the boat it died on me while running about 35 mph. I got it cranked but the fuel smelled lean. Rode about a 1/2 mile down the river and it died again. After unplugging just about every harness and plugging them back in I was able to get it back started. I made it back to the dock but I never went over half throttle. While sitting at the dock, waiting for the trailer to get backed in, the boat died again. I couldn't get it to crank and had to load the boat without power.
                    Got back home and changed the TPS, IAT, and Coolant temp sensor. I also checked the fuel pump fuse again, just in case a gremlin caused it to blow, and it was still intact. Normally whenever the key was turned the on position the fuel pump would prime for about 2 seconds. This time it did not. I put a meter on the wires going to the fuel pump and my wife turned the ignition on and still no volts. Just make sure the fuel pump worked I connected it straight to the battery and it came on. I then assumed it was the relays. I changed them and still nothing.
                    Engine rolls over and starter is strong just no fuel. I haven't checked the oil sender yet but is there anything else that could be causing the fuel pump not to get a signal to turn on? I am beating my head against the wall to trying to figure this out.

See this post for comments about possible causes.

https://www.tigeowners.com/forum/gen...in#post1244665

Comment

Regarding my original post and discovery that the issue was the fuel system relay— I replaced the relay and all is good except that from time to time it will die right after start up. To get going again I pull the fuel system relay out and put it back. It seems that the issue is the connection. 99.9% of the time it then runs correctly for the next few outings before it dies soon after start up and I have to repeat the process by pulling the relay and putting it back in again. Any suggestions on how to fix the connection permanently? Thanks.

Comment

I've had good success using dialectic grease on my connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried silicone grease which I think is pretty much the same thing. Still have the issue.

Comment

Working...
                          X