new tige to me and new to everything boating in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new tige to me and new to everything boating in general

I have a 2012 Z3 and just changed out my impeller, I hooked up the fake a lake and now when I put the boat in gear the prop seems to be having a loud high pitched squeal. Not sure if I need to check the V-drive fluid (If I do, where the hell do I go this at?) I can only find the regular oil dip stick. I looked all over the forum (new to this as well) cant seem to find anything. sorry if this has been posted before. please help!!

Priority #1. Take a boaters safety course! You would be surprised of how easy it can be to get into dangerous situations!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very true, i’v had my boaters license for many years. Just never owned a boat and done the maintenance on it

Comment

You should have an inspection/access panel either under the rear seat or on the front of it. Either that or the whole floor lifts up with the seat, I can’t remember which configuration your boat is. You’ll see drive and transmission dipsticks under the rear seat.
        BTW, kinda sounds like you are running the boat in gear out of the water? If so that’s a big no no, not only is it kinda dangerous but the bearing in the strut relies on water to cool it and you’ll damage it pretty quick running it dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
          You should have an inspection/access panel either under the rear seat or on the front of it. Either that or the whole floor lifts up with the seat, I can’t remember which configuration your boat is. You’ll see drive and transmission dipsticks under the rear seat.
          BTW, kinda sounds like you are running the boat in gear out of the water? If so that’s a big no no, not only is it kinda dangerous but the bearing in the strut relies on water to cool it and you’ll damage it pretty quick running it dry.
          Awesome. Thanks for the info jetdriver. I have the panel in front of the seat. I’ll check it when I get home. As far as running out of water. I barely put it in gear and it made that noise so I put it right back into neutral. I put it in the lake and could still hear the noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Bbelding View Post
            Awesome. Thanks for the info jetdriver. I have the panel in front of the seat. I’ll check it when I get home. As far as running out of water. I barely put it in gear and it made that noise so I put it right back into neutral. I put it in the lake and could still hear the noise.

I wouldn't recommend putting it into gear when sitting on the trailer. This is bad for the seals and driveshaft. If you can still hear the noise in the water, something else may be going on.

Comment

Bbelding, I'll be at Mead next weekend if you want me to take a look at it quick and tell you whats going on. PM me if you need.
              Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Awesome. Think I’ll be out Friday and Saturday. Iv topped some fluids off. Hoping that helps.

Comment

Sure the squeal isn't the prop shaft spinning on a dry cutless bearing?

Comment

I’m not really sure what it is. But that could be what it is Thanks for the response. I’ll take a look at it.

Comment

I'm not a fan of running it in gear, but if you do grab another hose and keep the water pouring on the cutless bearing and see if the noise goes away.

Comment

we need to hook up and swap some rides... I'd be happy to assist with anything. did all my own wrenching on my old supra and tige 22ve but haven't had a chance to dig into our z3 yet.
                        I believe that your z3 and my old tige 22ve could have the same motor so happy to point how we took care of her....
                        did you buy it locally? can't tell from the pic but it looks like the orange z3 we looked at off the 215 and pecos/eastern area.
                        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

I did purchase it local back in November. I had off shore look over the whole thing before I bought it. Had 162hrs when we bought it. We bought it in down In Henderson private party. Iv worked on trucks and cars my whole life. Just new to the whole boat motor thing and v-drive stuff.
                          I’d appreciate all the help I can get
                          Thanks,
                          Bryan

Comment

UNSTUCK,

Thanks for the info. I might try that.

Comment

pm sent.
                              2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                              2014 Z3.. Surf away