Trouble with Hot Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with Hot Start

First off I know it isn’t a Tige but I got so much help here in yrs past with my old boat that I continue to visit the site so I figured I would ask anyway to see if anyone had any other thoughts. I sold my Tige 21V and purchased and 2006 Malibu 23 LSV with a indamar Monsoon 340 engine with 500hrs on it.

The first few times out I noticed that when you turned the key over it cranked but not full force so I put a new starter on it (had the old one tested at Advanced auto parts and they confirmed it was bad)

After that it turned over and cranked a lot stronger but would still crank for 5-10 secs before it fires up and runs. I started thinking maybe it is gas related. So Last week I changed out the inline fuel filter and when I started it in in the driveway it took 5-10 secs to fire up the first time after replacing the inline fuel filter but eventually fired up. I attributed this to no pre-priming the fuel filter. I turned it off and on another 5-6 times in the driveway including letting it sit for a couple hours then firing it up again and all worked great. Cranked 1-2 times then fired up.

Then on the lake this past weekend It went back to cranking for roughly 10 seconds and then starting or cranking and not starting. When it wouldn't start i would pull the silver button that disengages the transmission and advance the throttle forward when I turned the key and the boat starts up every time when i "give it gas" I started it roughly 8 times and of those 8 times 6-7 of them i had to "give it Gas" to get it going.

Once it starts it seems to be running tip top. I can hit roughly 5200rpm and 44mph. i can load all stock ballast and 900# piggy back with wedge down and get on plain (slowly but i get there 1235 pull prop should be in this week and help with that). I think it idles fine. Might be running slightly rich at idle if the wind is coming from the back of the boat you can either smell the fumes or a faint gas smell.

When I originally got the boat home I noticed that it was the original Cap and wires so I replaced the plugs, wires cap and rotar from SKIDM tune up kit. ( i have since found out that the HVC distributor cap they sent might or might not be part of a recall from the manufacture but the symptoms of the bad caps are misses and back fires and I haven't experienced that).

Any thoughts on what could be causing the hard start?

- I was leaning towards the fuel pump due to it starting when I "give it gas" I put quotes around that as I was just told that I'm not actual giving it gas but rather giving it more air when I advance the throttle when starting the boat. I need to go listen and see if the pump is priming when I turn the key on. I will do that this Afternoon. Is there a low and High fuel pump or just a single high pump?

- I was also told it might be my IAC valve but I don't have problems idling. idles like a champ once started. I actually bought a IAC and turns out it is throttle by wire and doesn’t have a IAC valve to replace.

- Any chance y'all think it could be the distributor cap. I feel like if it was spark issue it would run poorly when started and not start when i advance the throttle?

- One thought was possibly the coil but once again not sure why it would start cold then when Hot require me to advance the throttle to have it fire up?

I turned the key on and I can hear the fuel pump priming. But if I key on 4-5 times to “prime” the engine more I can’t get it to start even by advancing the throttle and opening the butterfly ball in the TB.

the air filter looked super dirty so I sprayed TB cleaner from the inside out and tried to scrap out dust and stuff on the outside the blew it all out with the air compressor. It definitely cleaned up some.

Put the boat in the water and it fired up good when it was on the trailer. Ran great but I was the only one on the lake so I was afraid to test it and turn it off and on till I got back on the trailer.

Turned it it off and back on and it fired up quickly. I thought great problem fixed must have been the dirty air filter but then turned it off and on 3 more times and it wanted to start without advancing the throttle but ultimately wouldn’t. As soon as I did give it a little throttle boom fired up strong.

Oh one more thing when I had the top of the engine I did clean the TB it wasn’t that bad at all just a little black build up. Very minimal the butterfly thing was actually clean.

One suggestion was the coil So maybe the coil but I’m not connecting the dots on why the coil going bad it would start up when I advance the throttle.

Definitely fired up quicker (even when giving it throttle) than a couple days ago in the driveway so I think it has something with getting air. Almost makes me wonder if it is just a super dirty/ clogged KN air filter. On the side of the TB it has a part that has gears that I believe control the butterfly in the TB. I’m almost certain this boat doesn’t have a IAC so maybe the Throttle by wire thing on the TB isn’t opening properly when I’m trying to crank the engine. Seems like it just needs some more fresh air when warm? Or I could be way off with my thinking.

Tige owners always treated me right and helped so thanks for that and putting up with me trying to get some ideas off of y’all on my new boat.

Sorry for the long post.

I wouldn't know how it doesn't have a IAC. If it doesn't I don't have much advise. You could ohm the coil cold and warm (I would replace it there cheep). I have seen a bad coil Wire do this also but that is rare defect in the wire. The wire being bad could be tested with a spray bottle with water. Start the boat and get it good and wet if it starts missing or arcing that will be the problem. I am doubtful that is your problem but easy to check.

Comment

What is IAC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe it’s idle air control. When boat starts the IAC adjusts the throttle body so that it’ll run at idle

Comment

Correct Idle Air Control. @civilgee when I had my 21v I blew a belt and it threw a lot of belt dust in the engine compartment and eventually I had to replace the IAC on it as it would give me a warning beep from time to time at lower speeds. Easy to replace on the merc engines. On the Indmar it doesn’t look that hard except they moved them in 2006 or don’t have it all due to it being throttle by wire.

Comment

Working...
          X