Swim platform brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swim platform brackets

Noticed my swim platform brackets were slightly loose. Pulled them off, and bought new nylon lock nuts. Problem is that the thru holes in the boat are much larger than rhe bolts. Holes around bolts were filled just about evenly with marine sealant. Is this normal, how it should be? Or should i go look for some kind of bushings? I tried to reach out to tige, but im sure they are buried right now and not sure if I will get an answer back before I have to get this done tonight so i can give the boatlife 36 hours to cure before dropping the boat on Saturday. Please let me know thoughts. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the locknut still sits on the inside of the hull but you have a bunch of extra clearance around the bolt, yes?

My worry would be that big of a hole could pull the nut right through. Use a very large stainless fender washer on the inside just in case. After that, fill it with a goo that will harden. That's what I would do.

Comment

Found some 9/16 x 3/8 nylon spacers, do you think this would help or hurt? I also bought fender washers, and there is a support bracket on the inside as well. My concern was the entire bracket sliding down when my 275 lbs is standing on the platform if the bolts have play.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
        Found some 9/16 x 3/8 nylon spacers, do you think this would help or hurt? I also bought fender washers, and there is a support bracket on the inside as well. My concern was the entire bracket sliding down when my 275 lbs is standing on the platform if the bolts have play.

That certainly can't hurt. If it does slip down it will only do it once

Any chance you could use a larger bolt?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
          That certainly can't hurt. If it does slip down it will only do it once

Any chance you could use a larger bolt?
          No largest the bracket itself will allow without new counter sink... which i dont want to do in an aluminum die cast

Comment

Well it is back together. Hopefully it holds. I could not use the spacers as the holes were originally drilled too close together which is apparently the reason for the larger holes. I am thinking about redoing everything next winter with 5200 so it will never move or possibly sooner, however I think it did hold for nearly 10 years the way it was. If it came from the factory that way. I also think I broke it loose when I was trying to take off my platform in tight space, so if careful it will probably never go anywhere. Lets at least hope. Finally start my season on Saturday! Can’t wait!

Comment

I would have built a backer plate with 2 holes in it with the bolt hole size and re assembled it and jack that full of sealant
              surf till u die.

Comment

Originally posted by Surf406 View Post
                I would have built a backer plate with 2 holes in it with the bolt hole size and re assembled it and jack that full of sealant
                It had a backer plate and i wish I had now as the backer plate matched up to the holes in the boat. I did put as much sealant as I could in there. Praying it holds.

Comment

Holes could be that big so you can make sure the brackets are squared up.

Comment

Working...
                  X