steering cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering cable

What steering cable will I need for my 2009 22VE? I cannot find a number on my current one.

In the How Too Thread just above: How to replace steering cable http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...g-cable/page14

Just finished replacing the cable in my 09 22ve. The OEM and replacement one I installed was a 19' SSC15419 . I made the mistake of ordering an 18' based on what the 06-08 I ready had used. An 18' is short by 6". I missed one possible trip I could have gotten out last week but I was otherwise able to quickly make the exchange and get it swapped out.

Couple things to note:
    -In an 09 and I will guess til 12 or 13 whenever the 22VE's ended you DO NOT need to cut the existing cable. This was my first mistake and what crippled me once I found out I had the wrong cable.
    -The 1 1/8" nut at the rear under the motor was impossible to loosen under the motor. If you have a large wrench there is no swing room either.
    -I loosened off the rudder bracket so I could slide the whole sleeve out and removed the 1 1/8" nut on my bench.
    -When you pull the existing one out tie on a rope as others have said to pull the new one back through with.
    -I have very limited access at the rear even with the back and side panels removed. The fuel filter is right in the way and I have three batteries at the back so it made it nearly impossible to get two hands on anything. I had a second set of hands to put it all back together and it made life a lot easier.
    -Again, as someone else mentioned. Make sure you have the rudder straight and steering wheel straight before you install the rack under the helm. That being said I still noticed out on water that if I had the steering wheel dead straight I was turning right. I'll have to fine tune that.
    -If I hadn't first ordered the wrong cable and had a second set of hands the whole time I probably could have swapped out the cable in 2 all said and done. It really isn't that hard of a process. I probably spent just as much time putting all of my gear back in the front helm locker and putting the panels back in and such.
    -I went from stiff 2 handed turning to single finger turning. I was actually a drunk driver on the water for a bit as I wasn't used to the steering being so loose.

05/14/18 Update: For those considering upgrading you sub stock WS free air at some point you may want to consider a 20' or 21' so you have some extra length for routing.

Comment

Working...
    X