Another motor replacement thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another motor replacement thread

Hey y’all, I’ve been reading a lot in the forum but this is my first post. I recently bought a 1999 tige 21v from the Tampa area, during the sea trial the serpentine belt came off. I assumed it was due to the pulley alignment. Well we took the trailer to the boat ramp where the seller was supposed to meet us with the boat,on his way to the ramp the belt snapped, the owner said he turned the motor off before it got too hot but upon arrival the boat would crank a little and stop, I assumed it had water in the cylinders and needed a rebuild at this point. I finally had a Chance to dig into it today and sure enough there’s rust in every cylinder. Most of the pulleys are rusted as well as the risers and manifolds.

So at this point what’s the best option to replace the motor with?
    Obviously I’ll need a new long block plus the pulleys and the intake manifold is pretty rusted.

TCM has some decent options with a 3yr warranty.

I can get a reman base engine with the complete Delco ignition. Carb, intake manifold and exhaust manifold/riser for $5200

Or a basic long block for 2800

I’ll need most of the external components so I’m leaning towards a base engine.

Am I better off buying a long block and buying the externals separate?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

https://marineenginedepot.com/new-57...engine-package

Comment

The previous owner killed the engine during the sea trial and you still bought it? You must have gotten a smoking deal.

Comment

Unstuck, yes I still bought it after the owner smoked the engine.
        It was a fair deal and I assumed it could be rebuilt, I didn’t know how extensive the rust was at that point.
        When it comes to replacing the motor, I think I have a TBI engine. It has 2 fuel rails, 1 on each side of the carb. When it comes to replacing the motor does that matter?
        Last edited by impactoffroadlighting; 03-23-2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Sadly, water intrusion into an engine will rust real quick, especially if it was salt water. Cylinders can be bored, cranks turned and new internals installed, but thats only good if you know exactly what failed to begin with.

Id say you are looking at a long block at a min, them maybe exhaust manifolds possible.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by impactoffroadlighting View Post
            Unstuck, yes I still bought it after the owner smoked the engine.
            It was a fair deal and I assumed it could be rebuilt, I didn’t know how extensive the rust was at that point.
            When it comes to replacing the motor, I think I have a TBI engine. It has 2 fuel rails, 1 on each side of the carb. When it comes to replacing the motor does that matter?
            Its MPI
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

What Mike said. If it has 2 fuel rails then that thing in the middle isnt a carb, its just a throttle body and is multiport injection. TBI will just have 2 big injectors that sit under the spark arrestor and put fuel straight into the intake.

You could still get a longblock and new manifolds/risers, a new circ pump, and all the pulleys for probably around 3500-4k if you used Jasper and Sierra. Sierra isnt really a ton less for manifolds and risers but will be less at the end of the day.
              Last edited by freeheel4life; 03-24-2019, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                What Mike said. If it has 2 fuel rails then that thing in the middle isnt a carb, its just a throttle body and is multiport injection. TBI will just have 2 big injectors that sit under the spark arrestor and put fuel straight into the intake.

You could still get a longblock and new manifolds/risers, a new circ pump, and all the pulleys for probably around 3500-4k if you used Jasper and Sierra. Sierra isnt really a ton less for manifolds and risers but will be less at the end of the day.

Thanks for the help y’all.

The throttle body needs to be replaced as well as all the pulleys, the starter and alternator are still good.
                The intake manifold is shot and the exhaust manifolds are pretty rusted as well,
                I’ll have to confirm but I believe I have a mechanical fuel pump. If I buy a base engine with an electric fuel pump will it still be plug and play or require re-wiring?

Comment

An electronic fuel injected engine will have an electric pump. Likely in the 35-45'ish PSI range for MPI, A TBI would in the 15 PSi range.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                    The previous owner killed the engine during the sea trial and you still bought it? You must have gotten a smoking deal.
                    "Smoking" being the key word there....

Comment

Originally posted by IDBoating View Post
                      "Smoking" being the key word there....
                      Why you "knocking" it

Comment

Regardless if i over paid. Which I probably did lol.
                        The motor is a rust bucket.
                        Here’s some picsIMG-8856.jpgIMG-9519.jpgIMG-9520.jpgIMG-9521.jpgIMG-9523.jpgIMG-9524.jpgIMG-9525-2.jpgIMG-9525-2.jpgIMG-9527.jpgIMG-9528.jpg
                        Last edited by impactoffroadlighting; 03-25-2019, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                          Why you "knocking" it
                          Sorry, my post was in poor taste. Last thing we want is for this thread to get "seized"

Comment

No worries at all! its all in good fun.
                            Im hoping to have the rusted motor out in the next few days, Thanks for al the help everyone!
                            would there be an issue/advantage going to a top mounted starter with the new motor?
                            And if the new motor has an electric fuel pump will it be an issue wiring it?

Comment

would there be an issue/advantage going to a top mounted starter with the new motor?
                              Issue: new transmission Advantage: the one rare occasion we fill the bilge with water

And if the new motor has an electric fuel pump will it be an issue wiring it?
                              Current setup should be an electric pump. Not sure its a factor unless you got a complete new engine from merc.

Comment

Working...
                              X