Help! Cranks but no start 2002 Tige 21V mag mpi no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Cranks but no start 2002 Tige 21V mag mpi no spark

Boat has been running great all summer, but last time out first wakeboard run we were pulling first wakeboarder and the boat just died very similar to a “kill switch” which the 21v doesn’t have. It would only crank and not start and we got a tow back to the dock. 2 days later in the driveway with fakelake it briefly started up but died. Now just crank and no start or spark. You can hear the pump kick on and “pressurize” (shows 31+) at the shraeder valve. I bought an in-line spark tester and there is no spark. Most threads on here suggest the ignition module under the distributor cap. Sure enough mine is the older one and looks pretty corroded and so I’ve ordered a new one. I think it’s a Sierra part number #18-5116-1
    Here is my question though. Turning the key on the pump pressurizes for about 7 seconds and then during cranking, shouldn’t I smell fuel dumping into the cylinders through the injectors? Or does the ignition module not functioning prevent spark and the injectors spraying? I’ve cranked quite a few times and I would think I would smell quite a bit of fuel in the throttle body dumping in as I do have the spark arrestor off while cranking...
    I tried starter fluid before the in-line spark tester and fooled myself into thinking that it was trying to start, but in-line spark tester proves NO SPARK. Maybe there was an ever so slight spark from the failing module?

Your answer is in your title. MPI= Multi Port Injected The injectors are right above the intake valves.The carb looking thing (throttle body) is basically air metering. It has other functions but it doesn't spray fuel. You are on the right track the new pickup/module should be a 3 wire +/- ground. A bolt of the exhaust manifold should do for a ground. I would do the cap and rotor also. might as well.

Comment

Hello cm, your condition actually sounds like the ignition coil. Obviously a good thing to replace the sensor as the coil gets it signal from it but if the replacement module doesn’t solve the problem get a new coil. The module usually doesn’t just shut the motor down but those things present with really odd symptoms. Keep us posted.
      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by gumby View Post
        Your answer is in your title. MPI= Multi Port Injected The injectors are right above the intake valves.The carb looking thing (throttle body) is basically air metering. It has other functions but it doesn't spray fuel. You are on the right track the new pickup/module should be a 3 wire +/- ground. A bolt of the exhaust manifold should do for a ground. I would do the cap and rotor also. might as well.
        Thank you “gumby”. That helps. I also read a thread about the operation of the module to the coil and then to the ecm, and that explains a lot as to my inquiring about the fuel delivery.
        With your advise and Boatwake’s, I will do the cap and rotor, the module, and the coil.... and why you ask the coil? To borrow your famous line, because I “Might as well”!!
        Thanks all, I’ll update soon.

Comment

The coil is pretty easily tested if you have a meter. Ohm it out and see if it is within specs. Napa can usually test the module to see if it's good or not.

Comment

Put the new module in tonight and it fired right up. I’ll lake test it tomorrow. I have the coil Incase I need it.

Comment

Lake tested. Everything runs and starts. I didn’t end up replacing the coil, because I think I’ll leave well enough alone. Unless someone thinks maybe the coil made the module go out? The boat starts and runs great with new ignition module. Thank you for all the great help and posts on this forum! I’m Tige loyal, but saw the new Heyday WT-surf at the shop I went to. —-definitely unique—- but if it really surfs well, that’s a lot of bang for the buck!! :-)

Comment

Lake tested. Everything runs and starts. I didn’t end up replacing the coil, because I think I’ll leave well enough alone. Unless someone thinks maybe the coil made the module go out? The boat starts and runs great with new ignition module. Thank you for all the great help and posts on this forum! I’m Tige loyal, but saw the new Heyday WT-surf at the shop I went to. —-definitely unique—- but if it really surfs well, that’s a lot of bang for the buck!! :-)

Comment

Working...
                X