2003 22i Tige won't start or turn over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 22i Tige won't start or turn over

Have a 2003 Tige 22i - We took the boat out this past weekend and it ran perfectly with no problems, went out Monday night and it won't start or turn over. We have owned the boat since May and have not had a single issue. The blower and bilge are both working, we have dual batteries and have tested those and they show fully charged. I have made sure it is in neutral. When the key is turned to on something on the motor makes a click noise, then when the key is turned back to off it makes a chug noise.

I am not able to find anywhere online where the starter or the fuses are located to check those if someone could help me with that. Some suggestions I have from friends or from reading online are a fuse is bad or possibly the solenoid on the starter. But, what fuse do I check or are there any other suggestions?

Engine is a Mercruiser 350

Here is a link to some pictures of the motor and a short video clip of it clicking and then the chug sound when I turn the key off.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...71?usp=sharing
    Attached Files

tige2.jpg

On my 2005 22i, there are some fuses under the "340HP" cover in the picture.

tige fuse.jpg

This is what it looks like.

Comment

Next to the red breaker is your starter relay. Has the yellow wires with stripes on them running to it. Put you hand on it while keying to crank. It's probably the click you are hearing. If it is clicking, check connections at starter.

I'm betting you need a new starter from the sounds of it though.
      Attached Files

Comment

I think I am going to try ordering both a 90 amp fuse and a solenoid from what I have read. Where is the fuse located, how do I replace these? Is there a way to tell if the fuse is bad before ordering one. I took the engine cover off and there is not a fuse box like posted above.

I take it that the fuse looks like this? https://www.amazon.com/FUSE-ASSEMBLY...E+AND+SOLENOID

Comment

Originally posted by l2madison View Post
          I think I am going to try ordering both a 90 amp fuse and a solenoid from what I have read. Where is the fuse located, how do I replace these? Is there a way to tell if the fuse is bad before ordering one. I took the engine cover off and there is not a fuse box like posted above.

I take it that the fuse looks like this? https://www.amazon.com/FUSE-ASSEMBLY...E+AND+SOLENOID
          That fuse is down on the starter B+ post. Typically if it is blown you will have no helm power. I believe you mentioned that your bilge, blower, horn etc are all working. If that fuse is blown usually you will have none of those functions.
          Do you have a multimeter??
          Last edited by freeheel4life; 08-30-2018, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
            I'm betting you need a new starter from the sounds of it though.
            That is what it is sounding like to me.

I'd also say, I a haven't heard of most people just replacing the solenoid of the starter, typically it is getting a rebuilt one.

You can also try to old give the starter a few wacks with a hammer, if you can access it... Id also suggest looking at the battery cables on the terminals of both the battery and the starter. Id also test the voltage seen at the starter to make sure it 12V+
            Last edited by Rx79394; 08-30-2018, 05:01 AM.

Comment

^^^Try the hammer technique. In my old Chevy K10 I would always carry a long screwdriver I could fit down through the headers and a hammer. I could almost always get it unstuck with a couple whacks to the starter. Either that or I would arc the solenoid with that same screwdriver if the other technique failed.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

If the starter has ever been submerged, like by leaving the plug out. “I’ve never done that” It will work fine as long as it is used regularly. Once it sets, the starters internals corrode from the moisture and its replacement time.

Comment

So, this weekend I went to start my boat and got nothing. Put the charger on the battery and got up to 100%, still no turn over but all accessories were working. Father-in-Law suggested jumper cables from his boat to mine. I resisted since the battery tested fine. Finally hooked up the cables and engine turned over and started. $100 later and a new battery and back in business. You might try it just to see.

Comment

Could also be the battery. Has enough juice to run helm stuff but not enough cold cranking amps to turn the engine over. Both my batteries were dead after a few years of storage, so I threw them on chargers for a couple of days. Got them up to 12.10 volts via multimeter test, all helm controls worked, but starter just clicked. One battery was 9 years old and the other was 6, but they just would not take enough of a charge to crank the engine. Need at least 550 CCA for our engines. Two new batteries and all is good.
                    Ambivalent? Yes. Or Not.

Comment

2007 20V Woulnt Start

Hellol... not really any help, but my boat would not start after oil change. Gauges come on with the exception of the right side. No fuel, battery, oil pressure, etc. Stereo and blower trim etc have power. Charged battery just in case it was low and tested it. Battery is fine. Read threads and think i have a relay that suddenly went bad. Started poking around at the motor with all the wires looking for something loose. Pulled and shook wire harnesses gently and then try again. Gauges have power and starts right up. WHAT the heck?

Comment

Working...
                      X