Spun Crankshaft Bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spun Crankshaft Bearing?

I'm trying to find the source of a knocking sound coming from the area around the harmonic balancer. The balancer rubber looks iffy, could that be the sound of a bad harmonic balancer? I took off the v-belt and the sound remains, Listen to the video. Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/6rSZ3L7WLBQ
    Last edited by wakesurfid; 08-07-2018, 09:42 PM.

If the timing marks are on the balancer, check the timing. If its off, it can be a sign that the outer portion is moving on the inner hub. The noise does not sound rhythmic like bearing. Timing chain'ish.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

It does seem to me get I see the outer and inner portions of the balancer spinning independently of echo other. So if the timing is off, should I just adjust that, or should I also get a new balancer?

Comment

NO dont adjust the timing. Its a sign the balancer is shifted. The timing is not actually incorrect, its the mark that moved. if its bad enough, you might not even see the timing marks anywhere close
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I agree with mike. I guess it could be s main but doesn't quite sound like that either. but it is a video. How many hours? Ever low oil? The oil safety switch might have been worked around? Balancer usually misalign the belt but not always.It is a good place to start.and easy to check with a timing light. don't forget pull the timing out of it.

Comment

It is vacuum or electronic advance.

Comment

Not sure, how would I tell?

Comment

2003 5.7 MPI on a tige 24v

Comment

Less than 200 hours, never low on oil

Comment

I bet its electric being a 2003 MPI. By the silver paint, maybe MP. Likely a plug to pull or jump to put it at base timing. If you check without it at base, it will not be an accurate test as the timing is advanced in normal mode.

Comment

I don't know where to find the plug either, but there is one for sure. I doubt it is vacuum and i am sure is isn't. put the google on it.

Comment

Remove your oil filter and cut it open. That will tell you everything you need to know.

Comment

What am I looking for in the oil filter?

Comment

Originally posted by wakesurfid View Post
                            What am I looking for in the oil filter?
                            Sparkling glitter. If its spun it will be wearing off the Babbitt plating. It will show up as small metal particles. If it's that far and you really want to confirm pull the motor, drop the pan and split the rod caps. You should find the offender.
                            I could be wrong (am wrong often but that's how we learn) but with the Marine Power I thing if you pull the plug on the cam sensor while running it will stay running but put it in base timing.
                            Last edited by freeheel4life; 08-10-2018, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X