Steering Wheel very stiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Wheel very stiff

I just bought this boat used. Steering was smooth and easy at first. After about 3 hours the steering became very stiff. How does this happen?

We did hit a couple waves and had to bilge out quite a bit.... Previous threads suggest cable corrosion causing issues. How can it go from so smooth and easy to VERY DIFFICULT so quickly?? Must I replace the cable this quickly??
    2009 RZ2, factory ballast, 260 hours

This just happened to me last weekend as well. Started the day off great and when putting it back on the trailer I could barely control my boat it was so stuck. I would love any feedback anyone has.

Comment

Not sure why it would start all of a sudden, but check the path of the cable and make sure there isn't a kink somewhere or too tight of a bend around a structure. Check the rudder (if able) for bends or stiffness. Check any routing hardware that holds the cable steady. For my 2005, there is a clamp that holds the cable to the hull. Simplest reason is it needs a new steering cable. Pretty simple change on my direct drive but probably harder with your v-drive due to access.

Comment

Working...
      X