Boat is dying when starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat is dying when starting

My 2009 22ve was dying maybe once or twice during our outings, typically towards the beginning when I unloaded her off the trailer. I figured it was the fuel filters needed to be changed due to the boat was at 325 hours and I wasn’t sure if the previous owner had changed them out. I replaced both fuel filters and on our next outing the boat died maybe 5 times. At this point I figured there was some air I the line that just needed to work it’s way out of the system. Yesterday was the third time I took the boat out since changing out the fuel filters and the boat struggled. I had to restart it at least 20 times. After I finally ran it for a good while it seemed to be fine, but it took a good while. Any ideas what could be the cause of this problem. I was thinking that maybe I reversed the inline fuel filter? But would it even get fuel? Thanks for the help in advance

Does it just act like you turned the key off, or spit and sputter like its running out of fuel? Point is, it my not be fuel related. If it just "shuts down" could be electrical.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianrzr View Post
      Does it just act like you turned the key off, or spit and sputter like its running out of fuel? Point is, it my not be fuel related. If it just "shuts down" could be electrical.
      It spits and spudders. And not long after the service engine display appears. Wouldn’t the amount of times I was rolling the engine over mean that the battery had enough juice to run the engine? I will definitely check my voltage when I get back to the house but I’m pretty sure it was good. Could be wrong. It did struggle to roll over 1 or twice.

Comment

It wouldn’t be a cranking problem, more likely something with ignition or the fuel injection. However you stated it spits and sputters so I think that indicates a fuel related problem.

Comment

My local Tige Dealer said he thought it was the low pressure fuel pump (located on the side of the Fuel Control Cell). I just changed it out and started her up and she sounds good. I'm about to get out on the water, so I will let you know if that is the fix.

Comment

I agree with the low pressure pump being the issue.
            Oh Yeah!

Comment

90% improvement! I stalled 3 times when I took the boat off the trailer and while I was under load it lost a little power for a split second 2 or 3 times, but other than that she ran great. I am still getting a "Warning Service Engine" on the center display every once in a while. Is this something that is stored in the boats memory? Is there a way to reset this message so I can determine if replacing the low pressure fuel pump fixed the issue?

Comment

Working...
              X