Leaking Shaft Seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking Shaft Seal?

I noticed the last couple outings this season that my bilge pump was coming on frequently. Yesterday while at the lake, with the engine running, I pulled the dividers to take a closer look. While I did find a couple of very minor drips, it did not explain why my bilge pump was triggering every 5 minutes or so.

I have a ballast system and took a good look where the thru Hull’s are mounted but didn’t see anything obvious there either.

I checked the ballast bags but found no leaks and went ahead and drained them completely. I still had the bilge pump coming on every 5 minutes or so.

Could it be the prop shaft seal? What the best way to test?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Set the boat in the water/on the trailer. Let it sit in the water for a few minutes. Inspect the bilge. Fill up the ballast system one corner at a time. After each corner is filled, inspect the bilge for water. If no water, empty ballast. Then start the engine and let it sit idle for a few minutes. Inspect the bilge for water.
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have a normal shaft seal, meaning it lets water in while it turns (to lubricate the shaft). So my bilge runs every once in a while, it runs more often while surfing. I believe you have the same. Someday I will switch to a drip-less, but it's a giant pain to upgrade.
      Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

I suspected it was my shaft seal when I had the same issue. I pulled the floor and hatch under the back seat out and ran the boat at speed to see what leaked. Sure enough, water was squirting in multiple directions around the shaft seal. Once back at home loosened it off and pushed it down a bit more and re-tightened.

Otherwise, start with what KoolAid said.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
          I suspected it was my shaft seal when I had the same issue. I pulled the floor and hatch under the back seat out and ran the boat at speed to see what leaked. Sure enough, water was squirting in multiple directions around the shaft seal. Once back at home loosened it off and pushed it down a bit more and re-tightened.

Otherwise, start with what KoolAid said.
          Mine is leaking significantly while at rest. Just anchored up and sitting there the bilge pump was running every 5 minutes for at least 1 to 2 minutes. I’ll have to take a closer look with all my tools and a good flashlight at the boat ramp per Koolaid. With it leaking that bad I would hope that I would be able to get a good visual and confirm the source.

Comment

I haven’t had a chance to see if the shaft seal is the problem but I did take a pic. I’ve never seen a shaft seal like this. If it is the problem, how do I fix?

Comment

This is the collar and most likely right behind this where the rubber boot is is where your issue probably comes from. There are 2 set screws that hold the collar tight to the shaft. My small arrow is pointing at one. Loosen them off. Push down a bit and re-tighten. You may need a second set of hands to do this however.
              Attached Files

Comment

I can't really tell, but it looks like there is only one hose clamp at the stub tube end. Could be loose down there. Can you compress the bellows at all...away from the stainless collar clamped to the shaft? If it's leaking there, it can be one of two things. 1. The stainless collar has "walked" up the shaft causing a gap. Like BC says, loosen the setscrews and move the collar down. I recall the setscrews being a "one time" deal, so you may need to replace them. Or 2. Your bellows is weak and needs to be replaced. Take a look at this video. It gives a pretty simple explanation of how to replace the seal. The only piece it doesn't really go into detail on is the amount of compression of the bellows. That depends on the size shaft you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UvyF-NRooQ

Comment

Originally posted by GzeroX5 View Post
                  I can't really tell, but it looks like there is only one hose clamp at the stub tube end. Could be loose down there. Can you compress the bellows at all...away from the stainless collar clamped to the shaft? If it's leaking there, it can be one of two things. 1. The stainless collar has "walked" up the shaft causing a gap. Like BC says, loosen the setscrews and move the collar down. I recall the setscrews being a "one time" deal, so you may need to replace them. Or 2. Your bellows is weak and needs to be replaced. Take a look at this video. It gives a pretty simple explanation of how to replace the seal. The only piece it doesn't really go into detail on is the amount of compression of the bellows. That depends on the size shaft you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UvyF-NRooQ
                  Thanks very much for posting. This is very helpful! I’m hoping to take a closer look this weekend to verify the source of the leak. If it’s this seal I’ll at least know where to start. I’m not looking forward to trying to replace that sucker tho. Not much space under the engine and access only from the lockers next to the engine. What a PIA.

Any chance anyone knows what the prop shaft diameter is on a 2005 22v?

Comment

I would think it's a 1 1/8" prop shaft? Be sure someone else confirms that though.
                    They have maintenance kits. http://www.shaftseal.com
                    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Backed the boat into the water. Left it on the trailer and took a look. I instantly heard and saw a strong stream of water pouring from somewhere toward the front of the boat. I pulled it out of the water, peeked under the boat and saw that the front tracking fin is missing!

I’m scratching my head on this one. There have been no strikes against any submerged objects since I’ve owned it. I don’t see any obvious damage to the gel coat around the area of the fin nor do I see any noticeable trauma to the mounting holes- except for a small chip in the gel coat on the inboard side of one of the front mounting holes.

Does anyone have any info on how tracking fins are mounted? Are there nuts glassed into the keel and I can simply add a new fin and screw in some new bolts(provided there’s no internal damage)? Or is there a backing plate on the inside and I’ll have to pull the fuel tank and mount? Or some other way?

Comment

I’ve seen them come loose. Crazy to see one just missing though. Pull one of the bolts out of one of the other ones and try to put it in one of the missing one’s holes. I’d be willing to bet you can bolt a new one right back on.
                        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Yikes! One time I bent all my tracking fins... long story but they were replaced at a local shop afteI ordered some new ones from Tigé. Pretty sure they're just screwed on. Maybe it began loosening and over time ya lost it but never noticed? Or... there is a fin thief amongst you and some shark needed it. JK. Best of luck and let us know what you find out!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by h2osk8er00 View Post
                            Yikes! One time I bent all my tracking fins... long story but they were replaced at a local shop afteI ordered some new ones from Tigé. Pretty sure they're just screwed on. Maybe it began loosening and over time ya lost it but never noticed? Or... there is a fin thief amongst you and some shark needed it. JK. Best of luck and let us know what you find out!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                            I believe I will look to fill the holes with Marine-Tex putty. Let it set up and then drill and retap with a 3/8-16 tap. I’ll try to remember to take some pics.

Comment

Working...
                            X