Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yellow Mustard coming out of the V-Drive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellow Mustard coming out of the V-Drive.

It's been one thing after another with this boat. I took it out today for an hour or so and noticed this... (Checked the Trans fluid dipstick and it looks good, checked the engine oil dipstick and that looks good too). One thing that I happened recently was the 12v system was intermittently working. I found out that it was due to the breaker in the rear being frequently wet and the connections being very corroded. This was causing the bilge to not operate, which cause the water level in the bilge to get higher than normal.

IMG_3032.jpgIMG_3033.jpgIMG_3031.jpg
    Last edited by MexTex; 06-11-2018, 08:13 PM.

is it classic or honey mustard?

On a serious note, is it from the v-drive or the transmission?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Looks more dijon to me.

Comment

Trans should be ATF. Most likely V drive oil (Full synth 50 Trans is what PCM called for). If bilge water level was high it could have come in the breather. Flush it and monitor it. If it gets milky again then there is crack internally causing it to make oil.

I call it butterscotch milkshake.

Comment

Seems to be coming from the cap on the v-drive (pictured)

IMG_3034.jpg
          Last edited by MexTex; 06-11-2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Im looking through the forum and online, but I can seem to find how to drain and refill the V-Drive Fluid? Could someone please give me some direction. Thanks

Comment

That's the breather. The little square plugs that need an open ended 3/8" are the plugs/dipsticks/ vent when filling/sucking old oil out. Flush all the old stuff out and check it. If it starts getting milky you have a crack inside of the vdrive that pushes water into oil.

Be sure to remove both square head plugs when filling.

Comment

As noted above. You'll need an extractor to pull the bad oil out.

I've had to do this a couple times already myself already as I'm still trying to flush it.
                Attached Files

Comment

One thing I do when flushing water filled components is pour in a smidge of diesel then run it on fake a lake and give it a couple of quick shifts (shaft seals are dripless and I lube the strut). I find the diesel will pick up the water and you wont have to flush it as many times.

Comment

Can you run a more readily available oil in the V-Drive while trying to clean out all the mustard? I have Auto Zone and Napa close by but not much else. I can order in the PCM 50W Synthetic, but I would like to get started trying to flush this out. By the way, this stuff is as thick as honey - my extractor is about to explode with all the pressure.

Comment

Maybe a nondetergent 30 or 40 if you can find it. Honestly most any petroleum based product would probably be fine as long you are just using it to suspend contaminants then pumping it out...I suspect. As long as you aren't running it under load and for short periods that is.
                      If you keep flushing it and it doesn't ever seem to get any better I would suspect the internal cooler to be the issue.

Comment

Well that has me worried when you say "internal cooler". The initial problem I was trying to find the answer to was the "High Temperature" notification that was displayed. I back flushed the system trying to clear any debris in the line. After that I addressed the mis firing, with that I replaced the plugs, distributor cap and rotor. The cap was full of corrosion. I took it out today and the display no longer gave me a temp warning, but a Service Engine Warning. Thats when I noticed the mustard and the corrosion on the 80 amp breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by MexTex View Post
                          Well that has me worried when you say "internal cooler". The initial problem I was trying to find the answer to was the "High Temperature" notification that was displayed. I back flushed the system trying to clear any debris in the line. After that I addressed the mis firing, with that I replaced the plugs, distributor cap and rotor. The cap was full of corrosion. I took it out today and the display no longer gave me a temp warning, but a Service Engine Warning. Thats when I noticed the mustard and the corrosion on the 80 amp breaker.
                          The service engine should still be something else as there are zero sensors in that vdrive, and engine ECM is receiving absolutely zero input from that v drive. Sounds like you are working through a bunch of gremlins on this boat. I havent had to dismantle a Power Plus V drive yet, but supposedly there is cooler internal to it that sits between the intake and outlet of raw water pathway. You could probably pulls off the hoses and fittings and visually inspect it. Not really necessary though if oil stays clean, clear, and water free.

Comment

Man I hope its nothing serious. I'm ready to enjoy the boat! Do you know how many quarts the V-Drive takes? The manual gives me the oil specs but no the amount.

Comment

It's technically like 1.3 or 1.5 qts. Just plan on buying 2 qts.

Comment

Working...
                              X