Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long crank times

Wondering where I should look first.
    Put the boat in and it fired right up, ran around a bit and killed it. Had the stereo running, the boat was off for about 15 min and went to fire it up again but it had a really long crank time and acted like it wanted to start but dint. Turned the key over again and had a really long crank time (25-30 seconds) and then it started but was very weak, hesitant at first like an old diesel that has been sitting. boat ran fine, we didn't shut it down the rest of the day in worry it wouldn't start again. Put the batteries on the tenders when we got home and one was flashing that it was charging and the other was full green. We had the battery switch on all.

We started it a handful of times getting it ready for the season and hadn't had any issues. We put a new fuel filter in before we left, could that have something to do with it? Maybe just working through the treated gas that was in it from last season when we topped off at winterization?

Vapor lock likely. Next time you stop for a bit, pop the engine hatch to help cool the engine bay down. Then cycle the key a couple of time to run the fuel pump prior to cranking. this will push cool fuel from the tank through the lines, returning the vaporized fuel to liquid. Do this until you burn through the tank.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

OK, thank you very mcuh!

Comment

Cant remember does a 2002 have 2 fuel pumps or when did that start? Mercruiser issued a service bulletin on the models with 1 pump adding a second low pressure lift pump. I didn't buy their kit but did install a lift pump back by my tank and haven't had a vapor lock since.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/bullet/99/99_07.pdf

Comment

Thank you I will check that out. We just have one. We have had the boat for three years and never had this issue before.

Comment

Working...
          X