High Output Alternator - Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Output Alternator - Options?

I am looking for a high output alternator replacement. The stock alternator is having trouble keeping up with 3 reversible ballast pumps and stereo running at the same time. I get a low voltage reading (under 12 volts) at the battery and it will start giving warning beeps from the engine. Raising the engine rpm to over 1000 helps, but this is not a good solution. I pulled the alternator and had it bench tested and it's ok and also load tested the batteries which checked out fine.

The alternator is a delco with 2 v belt pulleys and it seems like there is not much aftermarket support for this particular alternator. Marine Engine Depot has a 95 amp version (I believe the one I have is 70 amps??) but not sure that 95 amps will help much. https://marineenginedepot.com/MP/Mar...t-(-Delco-OE)/

Has anyone sourced a high output alternator for this application? I don't have any local shops that rebuild High Output alternators.

2005 24V
    Marine Power 5.7 340HP

Find a rebuilder in your area and tell him what you want done. He may either have one on the shelf that will work or he could rebuild your to give you more output.

A search found these guys. Dont know anything about them.

http://www.astroelectricinc.com/
    Last edited by UNSTUCK; 05-30-2018, 07:36 PM.

Comment

How about adding a battery or perhaps you've done this already? Then add a good charger to them and all should be good.

Comment

3 reversibles should pull 60A at most when all three are on. Not sure how much stereo you are running. Have you actually verified alternator voltage output while running with a meter?? With a meter at alternator post and at batteries??
        Fyi, it's also fairly easy to get pulleys off of alternators. You could get an alternator with same bolt pattern and swap out your dual v belt pulley onto it.
        Last edited by freeheel4life; 05-31-2018, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Lots can happen between the alternator and the battery(s). The alt may have benched good, but a cable issue will prevent it from putting out as needed, where its needed. If youve dont this carry on.

What about a pulley change to up the alt's RPM at idle.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

thanks for the replies. I am going to check my alternator connections and wires before proceeding. If I need an alternator, I will look into a local shop to have mine rebuilt. Thanks for the link Unstuck!

Comment

Working...
            X