2003 21i Transmission Slipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeheal4life

I do agree with you but all worked fine with the old cable new tranny. Then he put the new cable in and now he has problems. The way I understood it. and you are saying the same thing as as I am.I think when he swap the cables the old one might have had some stretch or something just a little different on the new one that is not opening the valve all the way. i am sure if he checked reverse it would be fine. but you don't pull in reverse.

Comment

Gumby what was trying to help determine really was did something go wrong with the new installation of the transmission around fluid pressure / cooling / defect that has now surfaced after a few cycles of use. If the boat moves now when put in gear ( and that transmission has only two possible states, engaged 100% or disengaged 100%) and he adds engine torque and it lags, points back to transmission internals or prop/keyway.

It sounds like from his description that the boat begins to move but now under load there is a loss of 1:1 transmission.

Comment

Wright. engaged 100% or disengaged 100%) But if the cable dose not engaged the lever 100% because it is to short. lets say 50% forward the reverse is trying move the lever 150%. it is hard for me to explain.and it may not be the problem. but it sounds like what is happening. Just to say it is not out by 50% it is out just a little bit. Like 2% to short in forward it is not going in gear 100% so take the cable off put it in gear move the helm lever forward just as the butterfly cracks on carb/throttle body adjust the cable to go through the hole on the bracket on the transmission. make it go through but don't hook it up. Move the tranny to reverse move the helm to reverse just off idle like before. The cable should line up or be real close. If it is not I am not sure how to fix.I would rather see it to short on the reverse than forward. . Then hook it up and lake test.
        Last edited by gumby; 07-19-2018, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Chuck
          Have you tried to get her fixed yet?

Comment

Thanks again to my tige Bortjers and Sisters.

I went to the boat tonight and put the shift lever all the way in forward and noticed exactly what Gumby had explained. I pulled the shift cable off of the shift lever and then moved the shift lever all the way to the forward position. I then moved my throttle just past idle and noticed that the shift cable, and shift lever were not aligned. I then adjusted the linkage fitting on my shift cable to line up directly with the shift lever, and connected/tightened.

Test drive time.

Pulling out of the slip and idling past the no wake zone seemed fine. Brought the boat up to cruising speed, and again all seemed fine.

Time for the true test. I came to a stop on the water, and then hit the throttle as if I were pulling a skiier. No lagging, no slipping no clunking. Just raw power. Sounded great, and felt even better.

Thanks again to everyone on the forum for the input.

Gumby, I understood what you meant, and that was actually the problem.

Looking forward to taking it out tomorrow afternoon!!

Thank you!
            -Chuck

Comment

The saga continues....

We took the boat out yesterday, and after about 30 minutes of pulling my 40lb 6 y/o we heard a slip. Very odd and frustrating.

We went back to the slip, I checked the trans fluid and we lost a bit. Everything we lost was in the bilge. I added more fluid, and this evening I went back over to the boat to check all of my hose connections to insure they were tight. Then we took the boat out and ran it with the floorboard out so I could observe the transmission hose connections etc. I noticed we were leaking fluid from the bolt at the 6 o’clock and 9 o’clock position on the back end of the transmission just before the output shaft connects to the prop shaft. It was dripping at a very steady rate.

034C7BD5-EF60-435F-B401-D34D8B6397D6.jpg

Already emailed Hale marine about options with pics.

I’ll keep everyone updated.

Chuck

Comment

Aw crap

Comment

Is that front output shaft flange under hydraulic pressure or not. If not could he unbolt it and permatex blue the gasket. Thinking about minor repair and saving lake time vs warranty repair.

Comment

It is, for some reason the picture rotated clockwise 90 degrees. Spoke with Hale Marine, he feels like it is probably a hose, and fluid is traveling down the transmission to the lowest point, and dripping. I'm going to clean the trans really well, cover in baby powder, then run it to see if a leak is coming from somewhere else.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that there is no water in the transmission, no bubbles, and no pepto.

Also, Hale Marine was very friendly and helpful. He is standing by his product.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Chuck

Comment

Dawn dish soap and some warm water for the bilge. Might have to do it several times. Look at it this way your bilge will get clean.

Comment

Working...
                      X