2009 22ve - High Temperature Warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2009 22ve - High Temperature Warning

Yesterday I kept getting a message that my engine temps were high. It read about 165-169 when idling and would drop while underway. The impeller was recently changed. I don't feel that my temps are very high, but I would like to try and figure out why this is happening. Any help would be very appreciated.

Have you been in water that had a bunch of debris? I had this issue two years ago and my transmission cooler was plugged with debris. It has a screen on it that had to be cleaned out. Since then i have put a fresh water strainer on to prevent it from getting that far. Not sure if your boat has the same setup of not.

Comment

160F is standard operating temp on my 24Ve (with the EX343 CAT engine). I wouldn't expect an alarm for anything within ten degrees of that.

Comment

The Marine Power manual states, "Normal operating temp: Raw water cooling : less than 165 degrees. Closed cooling Between 160 and 190 degrees" pg. 23. On pg. 9 it says for the mp340 that the thermostat opens at 143 degrees. So it sounds like you are running a little hot.

Comment

Same boat I’m 165

Comment

I guess I didn't pay attention to which motor we were talking about. If its the PCM ex343, High temp is 200 degrees.

Comment

ADC4B5B3-52B4-4B48-A652-0016E700B72D.jpg
              BBDB925A-A076-4EB9-8333-6858B6BADB91.jpg

When I flush out the line, is the hose (above) the one you are referring to? It is the one that is connected to the thru hull fitting pictured. Disconnect it and see if anything is inside blocking the hose?

Comment

Welp...nothing in there

Comment

I would go with the other side of the v drive. That way you can push water towards your pickup tube. First area to catch debris is the transmission(V drive) cooler.
                  Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by MexTex View Post
                    [ATTACH]48624[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH]48625[/ATTACH]

When I flush out the line, is the hose (above) the one you are referring to? It is the one that is connected to the thru hull fitting pictured. Disconnect it and see if anything is inside blocking the hose?

Along the raw water line should be a cooler. It gets plugged with crud. The first 2 pics are the cooler from a PCM 409. The last one is an engine oil cooler from a Raptor, just took the pic so you'd have an ideas what it looks like.

Not even sure if this is your issue, but if you are going down this rabbithole....
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by freeheel4life; 06-07-2018, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Awesome. Went to the Starboard side and found exactly that. I felt around and removed a toothpick sized piece of wood. I felt a couple of other things but they were too small for me to grab, even with tweezers. How would I back flush this system out?

Comment

Originally posted by MexTex View Post
                        Awesome. Went to the Starboard side and found exactly that. I felt around and removed a toothpick sized piece of wood. I felt a couple of other things but they were too small for me to grab, even with tweezers. How would I back flush this system out?
                        Move upstream along the hose and disconnect it. IF I recall its next hose clamp is at the raw water pump. If so remove hose and clamp a garden hose and backflush. Leave the line off of the back of cooler and let debris flush into bilge. If you can sneak a mirror in to verify its clear. If you don't have a mechanics mirror go steal your ladies little round one, works just as good

Comment

Well it sounds like a good thing you did find something in the line. I will agree with Dukesofhazzard that those temps are very normal for my 09 as well however.

Comment

I was reading in the PCM Manual that normal temperature for the PCM EX343 is between 160 and 170 and over temperature is 200. DOes anyone know what the alarm is set to go off at for the Tige display? Also, I think my reading was actually 155 - 159 and the high temp alarm was going off - would that mean the display is faulty? And if thats the case how would I repair it? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X