Alternator issue-Tige RZ2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator issue-Tige RZ2

I went out today for the first time and the voltage meter was only reading 13.0 volts when running, 12.8 volts sitting still. I took out my multimeter and the house batteries (two in parallel) are 12.8 volts and the starter battery is the same. The batteries read the same as the boats volt meter with the boat running.

I then pulled the boat out and ran on a fake a lake and with with a meter on the output post of the alternator and then to ground, the alternator is putting out 13.0 volts when running.

A couple of questions:

-is there a fuse on the excite wire or are these self exciting alternators?
    -is there a built in voltage regulator?
    -do you think the alternator is toast given these symptoms?
    - should I get this one rebuilt or buy a new one? Any advantages?

Thanks!

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like voltage regulator issue. You didn't mention which year/motor you have but typically the voltage regulator is internal. You can usually see it inside of back plastic on the other side of the rectifier bridge. Havent rebuilt one as it's a better use of my time to just change it in the shop.
    Just out of curiosity, does voltage pick up at around 1000-1200 rpms or constant 12.8- 13.0v no matter what??
    13.2 is my minimum. Even at 12.8 to 13.0v you will probably find that current (amps) are well below alternator rated output if you put an amp clamp on it.

Comment

Thanks freeheel. It is a 2007 rz2 with the marine power 5.7l ht 360. If i speed it up, it’s stays around 13.1 volts. If the voltage regulator is bad, can that be replaced or is it one unit?

Where do you usually get your alternators?

Comment

Originally posted by cwalkley View Post
        Thanks freeheel. It is a 2007 rz2 with the marine power 5.7l ht 360. If i speed it up, it’s stays around 13.1 volts. If the voltage regulator is bad, can that be replaced or is it one unit?

Where do you usually get your alternators?

If you are 13.1 with throttle up off of idle I would say you are borderline okay depending...

Are you getting that 13.1 from the helm display or your meter?? Is 13.1 at alternator or at batteries of you were testing with meters.

Sounds like your alternator is charging, just on the low side of being a good alternator. You could try and rebuild it or have a reliable shop rebuild it. I get out alternators from a handful of different vendors. In your case i would lool here.

https://marineenginedepot.com/MP/mar...essories/2000/

This is Marine Powers parts website. In my experience you get the right stuff for your engine from here, no muss no fuss. Prices aren't rock bottom but not shockingly high.

Comment

It is 13.1 volts at the alternator with a meter. Less at the batteries.

Thanks for the website! I ended up ordering a new alternator.

Comment

Working...
          X