Transmission R20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission R20

How hard would it be to remove the transmission for my 2016 R20? Does the whole motor need to come out?

Originally posted by Jay4533 View Post
    How hard would it be to remove the transmission for my 2016 R20? Does the whole motor need to come out?
    It's not impossible. Not fun though. First the prop shaft would have to come out of the vdrive coupler. Then vdrive unstacked from trans. Then a guy would have to either have a way to lift the back half of the motor or crib it up underneath in the bilge. The rear engine mounts are actually bolted to the trans. You would most likely need the ability to lift a bit as well to get the trans shaft freed from the flex plate as well.
    Why does your trans need to come out??

Comment

I bought my boat with damage. I think the housing for the trans that holds the motor mounts are broke on one side I think. Not leaking but I’m pretty sure it’s going to have to come out. I found a a piece of cast aluminum in the bottom. BFF21A25-2175-464D-BC3A-571BF03571C6.jpg
      Last edited by Jay4533; 05-12-2018, 03:50 AM.

Comment

8FA65E06-C254-4D83-AFB6-72A15D2517B0.jpg
        Last edited by Jay4533; 05-12-2018, 03:50 AM.

Comment

D8D902AE-E16A-47D1-BDF6-28BBA66200AE.jpg

Comment

My damper plate blew up last summer and threw schrapnel all over. Find out for sure where the pieces are from before you jump to conclusions. Looks like it could very well be a piece of the bellhousing.
            Use a camera to take pics under the components you can’t see under/around. That’s how I found my issues.

Comment

Did you have to remove the motor for the bellhousing? My fiberglass man actually found this problem. I getting the boat back today or Monday to tear into it. I know that might be a dumb question but the Bellhouseing was my next guess and I’m just hoping the motor doesn’t have to come out. My shaft from my v Drive is already apart and just seems like It would be the easiest to remove the trans to figure it out the damage. Here is some pics of the damage F51C11BA-C7AD-49B0-B4DB-B1A994945CA5.jpg.

Comment

7261DF18-292A-412E-ABF8-766CCAC04EE0.jpg
                Last edited by Jay4533; 05-12-2018, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Ouch!! That sucks man!
                  You don’t need to remove the motor but you need to support the front of the engine as you will remove the drive and transmission to get to the bell housing. At least that’s how my boat was.

Comment

I really appreciate the help. I will post updates. Thanks again

Comment

Got the transmission out and it really wasn’t that bad to do. 34046342-62CF-4B2F-8D99-92A04D4263A4.jpg

Comment

Nice work. Was the damage to the bell housing from the flex plate coming apart?

Comment

So far the damage I have found was on both mounts coming off the transmission. Bell housing was fine. Internally the transmission seems the be fine. Really I need a new housing but I’m not sure if I want to tackle that. I have looked online for a complete one and so far I can’t finf anything. Do you have any ideas? C5327ADD-2367-4A0A-94A6-754014D4F7BA.jpgB4C70C1C-3852-459F-B6E1-E84BF3C73BD6.jpg

Comment

I assume Indmar gets them as a complete unit. They may be able to source just a housing from their supplier. I would give them a call. Worst case they try to sell you a whole new trans

Comment

Van Damn! That’s some crazy force to do all that damage! What’d he hit?
                              With the amount of damage done underneath the boat I’d expect the drive and the tranny to have internal damage too. Not sure how you’d verify that all is well without ripping both apart but I’d be inclined to replace the whole unit.
                              Crazy it busted those mounts. Do yourself a favor a replace the damper plate while it’s apart. They’re pretty cheap and wont ever be easier to get to than now.

Comment

Working...
                              X