RePowering my 23V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RePowering my 23V

I'm in need of help. I have a cracked block on my 01 23V. I'm needing a new motor and wondering what to repower it with. I'm torn between a 5.7l which it has in it but the performance one giving me more HP and 400 lbs of torque. I've also looked into the 383s with 450 HP and 470 lbs of torque. I k ow I want more torque so we can surf and carry all the ballast weight. I know this has been done before and prolly discussed so I'm needing a direction to go. Do's and don'ts would be great as well. TIA

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

The 383 is technically the same block as a 350, so bolting up is not an issue. What I dont know is, if the 350 injectors are the same flow rate as the 383 and if the 01 ECM can adapt to the minor difference and supply the proper A/F ratio. My gut says yes, because this is not an uncommon mode for street cars.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

No one ever seems to complain about having too much power. More power also means better fuel consumption and less stress on components due to lower rpm’s.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

The biggest thing is being able to tune. Find out what ecm you have and we can tell you how hard it will be to tune. If it can be done, you would want to find a local tuner guy to spend a few hours on the lake with you dialing it in.

Comment

I guess it really depends on budget and how much elbow grease you want to put into it. If money's no object you could move up to a 6.0l or 6.2 and buy an ECM from Merc, Marine Power etc...If you really wanted to spend $ you could probably buy a complete PCM 409.

Or you could ditch the computer, get a 4 barrel manifold and switch over to carburetor. A carbed 383 would still net you more torque than that 350 that you have.
          Last edited by freeheel4life; 05-04-2018, 12:13 AM.

Comment

That boat is clean man... I see why you are slamming a new motor in her! Did it not winterize it properly or something? Just curious as to what happened... I wish I had the 23V as I love that seat layout and the added room. Best of luck! Also, where in Texas are you at? Cheers man!

Comment

Complete merceriser factory reman with warranty, 383 MPI for $10k here. https://www.perfprotech.com/plus-ser...product/188707
              Drop in and go.
              Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

^^ That would be pretty sweet. It hit me, if OP has a black box Walter and not a blue theres a good chance he could rebuild with a 350 and change final ratio and prop to get the surf torque he wants for carrying weight.

Comment

It has the 1.5 to 1 synchrotech. I just don't recall what torque rating the velvet drive had.
                  Oh Yeah!

Comment

For the money, just buy a new block, bolt everything back on and go surf it. 1-2 day project for a bigger shop. This happens in my area a lot because of early hard freezes.

I would worry about the ecm and tuning. Unless you can confirm it won't need a tune?
                    Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Working...
                    X