Engine Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Trouble

I have a 2002 Tige 20v Mercruiser. Today I took the boat out for the first time in 2 months and the battery was fairly low. I tried to to start the engine 10-12 times at the launch, before pulling up and re-charging the battery. After I did that It still wouldnt start, and appeared that I had flooded the engine. I used the throttle and key simultaneously to get it started.

Once we were out on the water the boat seemed to lose power, or even die 1 or 2 times when I would give it throttle quickly. If I slowly did this the rpms would remain constant. Towards the end of the day the boat went well.

Seems as though I have a fuel issue. Ideas? Did I flood it at the launch and that caused the day of issues? Do I need a new fuel pump?

Thanks!

Chris

If you had open the throttle plate up every restart then I would suspect your IAC valve isn't letting any air in while cranking, but would typically see idling issue to go along with said problem?? Did you have any power issues going from 3k RPMS to wide open throttle or just when accelerating from idle?

I'm also assuming you have a fuel injected tournament ski or mag mpi

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
      If you had open the throttle plate up every restart then I would suspect your IAC valve isn't letting any air in while cranking, but would typically see idling issue to go along with said problem?? Did you have any power issues going from 3k RPMS to wide open throttle or just when accelerating from idle?

I'm also assuming you have a fuel injected tournament ski or mag mpi
      I had issues even when putting it into gear. Yes if I went WOT it would die on me or rpms would drop. Once I waited the boat with ballast it was even worse. I would have to SLOWLY get up to speed. However, as the day went it on it improved.

RPMS seemed to be fine around 3k and slightly above when the boat was unweighted, and at the end of the day on the way back with light load.

Comment

Certainly sounds like a fuel issue then. Would start by either buying a fuel pressure tester or renting one and checking fuel pressures.

Comment

Working...
        X