Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Velvet Drive Making Whining Noise - Video

Hey Guys,

I had a strange outing yesterday. Launched and proceeded at cruise speed up river towards lakehead at gentle cruising speed, all good. There's a narrows by the Lakehead so I went to throttle back to reduce my wake and the lever would not come back. Used a bit of force and it popped back engine revs went up and I was like WTF is happening here. Pushed forward (stiff) and popped boat back into gear at fairly high revs (probably 2500+). At this point we are on a river with swift current flow so I tried again and another high rev shift. At this point I shut off the motor and signalled for assistance on the water. Was towed to a nearby launch at the narrows.

Throttle lever would not go forward without a stiff grinding feel. Opened the engine cover and all cable connections seem fine. But now with boat in neutral I start it and revs just shoot up.

Trailered home thinking my throttle control lever was shot. Took side panels off and undid bolts to pull throttle/transmission lever mechanism out for a look. Still a stiff grinding feel. Took another look at cable connections and the connector at the throttle body just under the air filter had the plate that it rotates not sitting back on it's resting point. Wasn't sure if that was normal so I undid the clip and moved the cable end around a bit. Popped it back on and the throttle body plate that rotates was now rotated all the way back to the stop (the return spring is in place).

Funny thing is that the throttle lever now works smooth as silk forward backwards no problem but there was no kinking on the cable at the engine end. I start the boat and now it idles like normal start. Shift trans into forward gear and it's nice and quiet, propellor turns. Shift to reverse and the usual clunk, propellor turns.

Shut off thinking I may have dodged a bullet but on firing up to try again and shifting into gear the transmission now started to make a very loud whining noise. Only when in gear not in neutral. The whine slows down as the shaft stops spinning. Give it some throttle and gets very loud.

Do any of you guys have thoughts on this? Trans oil shows full, clean and red. I'm thinking those couple of high rev shifts are to blame and trans may have to come out in the spring.
    I am trying to put the video on Youtube with a link here so you can see and hear it. Stay tuned.

This is the video link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl0InYffHT8

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2002 21iR (mid-year boat came with 2003 hull change)
    Mag 350
    Direct Drive - Velvet Drive model 10-17-004 1:1 ratio
    approx 325 hours
    Experience - Something you get right after you needed it.

I thought we were never supposed to put our boats in forward or reverse out of the water because the propshaft bushings are lubed by the water and if ran dry they can be damaged and perhaps whine. Someone school us up!

Comment

Originally posted by jimidemo View Post
      I thought we were never supposed to put our boats in forward or reverse out of the water because the propshaft bushings are lubed by the water and if ran dry they can be damaged and perhaps whine. Someone school us up!
      That might make sense b/c when I first did it there was no whine at all. Gradually appeared. I did not run it in gear long after the whining started (just for the video) so hopefully that's all it was. It would save me from a trans rebuild which would be welcome.

Can anyone else "school us up" on this?

Comment

Oh yeah.. def don't want to push the throttle forward or reverse without using the Neutral Safety Switch on the throttle which will disengage your prop. Hope it didn't cause any damage... Let us know how it goes and if you solved your mystery!

Comment

For got to mention there is another feed on here somewhere for a leaking transmission from an O-ring on the shift collar... Might want to look at that too... If you boat was over-revving on the water that could be the culprit.. Always keep your fluids toped off.. Tranny should take 2 quarts I think.... But keep some on hand too... You will see the ATF leaking on either side of the shift collar depending on which O-ring went bad...

Comment

Tigebert,
            Just peeped your video and that was definitely a dry propshaft rubbing against a dry bushing at strut. Just guessing but sounds like your initial problem was at your throttle body linkage and you fixed it, as handle is now operating correcty along with throttle. Then in the course of confirming you got the bushing to howl. Shouldn't be a problem when you drop it back in the water. Unless your cutlass bearing was already super worn. If you spray prop shaft just uphill of strut with wd40 when running on trailer you wont get that noise. Still does nothing for your prop shaft seal though unless you have a dripless(lubed with water from the engine not from the lake).
            Last edited by freeheel4life; 09-08-2017, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
              Tigebert,
              Just peeped your video and that was definitely a dry propshaft rubbing against a dry bushing at strut. Just guessing but sounds like your initial problem was at your throttle body linkage and you fixed it, as handle is now operating correcty along with throttle. Then in the course of confirming you got the bushing to howl. Shouldn't be a problem when you drop it back in the water. Unless your cutlass bearing was already super worn. If you spray prop shaft just uphill of strut with wd40 when running on trailer you wont get that noise. Still does nothing for your prop shaft seal though unless you have a dripless(lubed with water from the engine not from the lake).
              Hi All,
              Thanks for chiming in. Put everything back together and towed it up to the boat launch. Backed her into the water and fired it up. Idled perfect so then went into forward, quiet shift and no noise. Reverse is same so all seems good. I just can't figure out what caused the throttle lever to bind in the first place. It's a sealed unit so I'm wondering if something inside like a piece of gasket or ??? broke loose and landed on the gear teeth. When I pulled it all out possibly it fell to bottom and is no longer causing the bind.
              Really strange and the lever works perfect again, smooth as silk,

Comment

Working...
              X