Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Pump (s) on Marine Power Engine-need replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Pump (s) on Marine Power Engine-need replacement?

Subject boat/engine: 2005 24V with Marine Power 5.7 340HP Vortec MPI

I believe I have a failing fuel pump or pumps. I get an intermittent stalling issue that presents in different ways. I can be at cruising speed (3k RPM) and the engine stutters or sometimes it will idle normally and then stutter and stall and sometimes it will not start (it will crank and stumble then it appears to starve for fuel and die).

The issue is very intermittent, it can run perfectly for a few days then start to die but it is happening more frequently now. I am confident that it’s not a vapor lock issue as it’s not related to starting again after shutting the engine down hot.

When I turn the key on before starting I have noticed that there is a whining/chirping sound coming from either the high pressure or low pressure fuel pump. Listening up close I believe it’s the Gforce pump making the sound. When things are ok, the fuel pump makes a whirling sound but when it’s not running ok, the fuel pump makes a loud whine/chirping sound most noticeable when turning the key on for priming the fuel rail.

Because the issue is intermittent and I don’t have an easy way to check fuel pressure at the fuel rail when the problem arises, I am looking at just replacing the pump or pumps.

So my question is, should I just replace the high pressure GForce pump that sounds like the culprit or should I replace both the high pressure and low pressure pump together? Is there a way to tell which one is the problem?
    Does anyone have part numbers for the gforce high pressure pump and the low pressure pump?
    Do I need to replace the entire gforce unit or can the upper portion be serviced with a new pump and the canister/filter housing stays in place?

I am far from an engine expert, so this is based on online research, limited experience and logic, so please chime in if you think I’m going down the wrong path.

Other info: The gforce filter is new this spring and this engine does not have an inline fuel filter between the gas tank and the low pressure fuel pump unless I have overlooked it somehow.

Quick update here, I ordered both a low pressure and high pressure pump. I unplugged the gforce high pressure pump and turned the key and it sounded like the low pressure pump was making the noise. You can replace just the top portion of the gforce pump (just remove 3 bolts and slot in a new pump. So I decided to order both the low pressure Carter pump and the gforce cartridge. I figured it was best to replace both for piece of mind. The gforce pump cartridge is fairly inexpensive too. Here are links to the parts if it helps anyone that needs to replace both fuel pumps.

Gforce fuel pump replacement cartridge: http://marineenginedepot.com/MP/Mari...Marine-Power)/
    Carter low pressure fuel pump: http://marineenginedepot.com/MP/Mari...-Low-Pressure/

Comment

You can buy the low pressure Carter pump from any auto parts store for under $60

Comment

I had no luck locally, and was hesitant to cross-reference with the mounting situation. Can you share a link to Napa or other chain that stocks this Carter pump? I can't find it listed anywhere.

Comment

I just bought one at o'reilly tonight Carter p4389 or p4070 both are 72gph 6psi pumps with 1/4" npt fittings.

Side note, if anyone needs to replace the throttle body gasket on a 360HP MP engine (possibly several of the 5.7L MAG MPI engines), it is the same as a 2002 Chevy 3500 pickup with an 8.1L engine.

Comment

IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_4031.jpg

Comment

Did you buy new NPT fittings? I thought the OEM is 3/8 NPT in/out and 7psi? At least that is what I am getting from Michigan Motorz as the OEM replacement.

Comment

Mine threaded right in

Comment

But if you do need to buy new fittings you are still saving a lot of $$$

Comment

But if you do need to buy new fittings you are still saving a lot of $$$

Comment

The part comes in tomorrow. I'll post what I find. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Quick report back. Installed both fuel pumps Friday and hit the lake Saturday. Problem is solved.

Comment

Great news!

Comment

Working...
                          X