Crank case oil grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank case oil grade

Would it be ok to use Castrol Edge 10w60 on the 5.7l vortex engine in a 2004 20v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think 60 is a bit thick. 10W40 seems more common in the non-marine oil.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

We run a 25-40 syn blend in almost all inboards we service besides new volvos and raptor. My favorite customer has a PCM 409 that get a lot of hours of heavily weighted surfing, he's that guy that's at the lake 8 days out of 7 . He also typically comes in 20-30 hours past his service interval. Oil always comes out only slight blackened and still in really good condition , at least visually.
      Why are wanting to run something so thick. Even the Raptor 550 only requires a 50 on top end to handle increased compression ratios.

Comment

I called Marine Power a couple of years back and they suggested 15w40 conventional or 15w50 synthetic.

Comment

10w-60 isn't thick but it better be synthetic. The first number is the cold flow property and the second is the temperature protection rating. Such a wide gap is uncommon and most unlikely in a conventional oil and usually reserved for motorcycle engines, commonly in synthetic form. The best conventional oil is 15w-40 shell rotella and there have been many discussions on why and blah blah. Mercruiser and Amsoil produce a semi-synthetic and full synthetic respectively in the 25w-40 weight for marine applications where Volvo Penta marine specifies a synthetic 10w-30 or 10w-40 for basically the same engine except the OSXi series with roller rockers. We literally could go on for hours about it but your motor in that boat will like a 15w vs. a 10w.
          Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Agree on Rotella being the optimum choice, specifically Rotella T which has recently been rebranded as Rotella T4.

Comment

Working...
            X