02 21V won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

02 21V won't start

I was out on the lake the other day and my boat died at a buddy's dock. No problem on start-up and ran fine going over there. I was low on fuel - below a quarter tank. When I tried to start it the boat sounded like it was out of gas. Added 5 gallons and ran back to my dock - no problem starting or running - but died idling into the dock. Now the boat is hard to start without giving it some throttle. Any thoughts on where I should start? IAC?

Thanks!

I would start with fuel delivery.

Comment

Check the starter relay fuse on top of the motor...just had mine blow and the engine would turn over but nothing would "ignite". Also, a faint clicking could be heard from the relay when the key was on but not turned to start position. You need to remove the plastic cover with "Tige'" and "vortec" written on it to find the box with the fuses.
      Last edited by mikemcclain8; 08-11-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I am experiencing a similar problem (see my recent post about fuel pumps in this Mechanical forum). If the problem is consistent, hook up a fuel pressure gauge to your fuel rail and check pressure (free tool from auto parts store to borrow). I am replacing my low pressure and high pressure pump. I will post if this solves my problem after install. My parts come in on tomorrow. I am assuming you have the Marine Power 5.7 340 HP engine? IAC is a good though too.

Comment

Working...
        X