2005 22i had trouble starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2005 22i had trouble starting

Okay guys, I hope you can explain something to me. I have a 2005 22i and have had no major issues with it so far. However, this weekend we were out on the water for a few hours doing some surfing and came back to the dock for a brief break. Shut down the boat, added a bit of fuel, and tried to start. Boat would turn over but not ignite. I didn't look at any temperature gauges, but I'm assuming there is some sort of overheat protection that shuts down the spark plugs or something. The water temperature was 90 degrees so maybe the raw water intake wasn't working efficiently. Anyway, the boat sat for around an hour and when I attempted a restart, it fired right up. No problems the rest of the day or the next day. Any thoughts?

Mike

Sounds like vapor lock after a hot soak. The ethanol in the fuel, on a hot day make it worse.
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Certainly sounds like a vapor lock. You have the merc 350 mag mpi in it??

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
        Certainly sounds like a vapor lock. You have the merc 350 mag mpi in it??
        Actually, 5.7 Vortec 340

tigeengine.jpg

Comment

Buddy that's heat soak vapor lock. Happens to my 01 22i every August at loto. Take kids out boarding bring it back and put in slip adults come back to use it and it won't start. Blower should be left on for a while after you shut it down or crack the dog house open. It's like a oven in there. I will trailer my boat home 2 hrs and open it up and it's still to hot to touch.

Comment

You can also try Marine Sta-Bil for ethanol fuel treatment. Mercruiser has a TSB to add a second fuel pump closer to the tank so the cooler fuel from the tank is being pushed instead of pulled to the engine. I added it to my engine and it has never returned. I don't know about your engine. Another thing that helped me before was to let it idle and cool down a minute or so to cool off before shutting it off.

If you could find Ethanol free gas near you, that alone might do it?
            Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Mike,
              Believe the other advantage of adding fuel pump at/near tank is you are putting fuel under pressure. Fuel that has to get sucked (vacuum) will vaporize at lower temps. As pressure increases vapor point goes up. Same as coolant. Why automotive pumps(and your new raptors) are in tank pumps. Entire fuel line is under pressure and hence higher vapor points.

Mikemcclain-
              Would definitely utilize your blower more, especially ad you are idling into marina, and leave it on as your are fueling, getting food, draining kids bladders etc,...leave it on after the fact. Will help with heat soak. Opening engine hatch ad previously mentioned will cause no harm either.
              Last edited by freeheel4life; 08-01-2017, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                Mike,
                Believe the other advantage of adding fuel pump at/near tank is you are putting fuel under pressure. Fuel that has to get sucked (vacuum) will vaporize at lower temps. As pressure increases vapor point goes up. Same as coolant. Why automotive pumps(and your new raptors) are in tank pumps. Entire fuel line is under pressure and hence higher vapor points.

Mikemcclain-
                Would definitely utilize your blower more, especially ad you are idling into marina, and leave it on as your are fueling, getting food, draining kids bladders etc,...leave it on after the fact. Will help with heat soak. Opening engine hatch ad previously mentioned will cause no harm either.

Thanks everyone! Good thoughts on the fuel pump.

Hey MOTige,

Having been to Lake of the Ozarks, I have to ask when you are able to get on the water....the waves on that lake are ridiculous! I've seen a few bass boats on their tops there I only get there every two or three years.

Mike

Comment

We have a timeshare the second week in August. My kids go to parochial school and it seems all the public school kids start a week earlier. Monday through Thursday we run from the 14mm to the dam and up gravois arm. Needless to say Friday Saturday Sunday after 9am our boat is just a ladder to get out of the water when we jump off the dock or need a beer.
                  I have fished bass tournaments there too and that 3 o'clock weigh in is pretty hairy in a 19 ft bass boat.

Comment

Just a quick update.....went to start the boat this weekend after it sat for a week and it wouldn't start. Same symptoms as last time but I hadn't run the boat. Looked around the engine and heard a faint clicking with the key on. Localized it to the fuse box on top of the engine and opened it up. Starter relay fuse had completely blown. Switched it out and it fired right up. I'm guessing it was on it's way out last weekend and still managed to get a connection. Not sure why it blew, that could be a different story altogether.

Comment

Working...
                    X