Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008 22Ve Starter Issue - replacement starter part #?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2008 22Ve Starter Issue - replacement starter part #?

Took the boat out last night, the first time it fired up fine but the last split second make a grind/whine noise as the engine fired up. We cruised around for a while then anchored to swim. About 1.5 hours later the boat would not start - it just produced a grinding / whine noise which I think indicates the bendix isn't engaging the flywheel. The noise continued for 2-3 seconds even after I stopped turning the key, so I think it kind of stays stuck in the up position even after voltage is removed from the coil. The batteries are good and fully charged.

Does this sound like a bad starter? If so - is the ARCO 30459 the correct part? Thanks.

Well - it turned out that my starter housing had cracked, and the cracked off piece was preventing the bendix from engaging the flywheel. Luckily no flywheel damage and it was super-easy to replace the starter - just removed the seatbox and cross-beam thing behind the box and access was really easy. 2 bolts and 2 electrical connections later and I'm back on the water. Delco 8000186 is the part number. O'Reilley Auto Parts had an equivalent marine starter available that worked like a charm.

Comment

Make sure it is a marine starter for sure.

Comment

I know several of the auto parts chain stores around the lakes in Phoenix be started carrying a couple of the more popular marine starters and alternators.

Comment

I double-checked that it was indeed a marine starter before I bought - this is the exact starter:

http://www.wilsonautoelectric.com/Pa...e-dfe2198e2cf6

$125 out the door - not bad!

Comment

We have same boat and need starter 8000186. Were the bolts in a staggered pattern or vertical? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X