01 22i low power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

01 22i low power

Been surfing and waking with just 4-5 in boat. Had a boat full 10 the other day and it struggled to get in plane. Really struggled to pull up skier. Check the fuel rail and it has 35psi key on then drops to 5. Running its at about 25 then drops to 20 psi when throttle up to 1500rpm. This was a problem before and I changed fuel pump only to have somewhat same pressures. I am questioning fuel line before pump. Do I have a low pressure pump on this boat. I can trace line back to back seat but that thing has my? On how to take it out. Any input in fuel line before airtex pump?

Thanks

I would certainly proceed with ruling out any engine performance issues, but given the description, Id make sure you didnt have a bilge full of water and take a look next at the prop for possible upgrade.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

What motor/type of fuel injection? TBI requires very little pressure and yours may be fine. MPFI requires much more, as much as 58 psi. So that could be your problem as well. Or maybe you just need to throw five friends overboard.

Comment

10 people (depending on size) is a lot of weight, especially with gear, so I would expect it to have a little harder time especially with the stock prop. But like Unstuck was asking which motor is in yours? Did the motor seem to miss at all or still run smoothly?

Comment

No water in boat at all. Never thought pumping sacks full of water IN a boat was a good idea.
          I have the MIE 350 MAG MPI SKI with what I think is stock 4 blade stainless. Even recently with 3 guys on ski night it still does not pull you right out like I think DD should. Buddy's and I are old gear heads from cars to dirt bikes to boats in our 50 years and they agreed that it seemed like a fuel problem. I have the pink fuel pump so I think I should have 30 psi consistent to the fuel rail. Also how would I tell if I had a bad injector? Does onboard computer have a plug that a car scan could read?
          Thanks for help.

Comment

There is an onboard computer but you can't read it with a car scanner. You need a MEFI code reader.
            http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/MEFI/
            I wouldn't think the original prop was stainless? Can you find what markings it has? They usually had a Nibral prop.
            Last edited by TeamAllen; 07-19-2017, 03:08 PM.
            Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

If it wont pull 3 guys then def something going on. If you have replaced the pump and its still acting up, it could be a bad fuel pressure regulator or injector. The coded reader TA suggested would be a good way to start vs chasing parts.

TA I think some came with stainless and/or bronze. My 97 is a 3 blade SS and brothers 01 is a 4 blade SS.

Comment

Tigé did use Cutter stainless props for a few years.

Comment

Good fuel pressure(30psi at rail,it's pink regulator so ok)
                  I'm starting to question my fuel line from tank to fuel separator. I only have one pump if I'm not mistaken so maybe I'm collapsing or sucking air.

Comment

Possible anti siphon at tank is fighting you as well. Pretty rare but not unheard of.

Comment

Something else I finally remembered, lot of us on the older boats have added a lift pump to them. There was a service bulletin that came out but it was more to do with vapor locking than lack of power as you are describing.

Does it do it when its cold or only when warm?

Comment

Does it consistently warm or cold. Changed the fuel line last night and started on the hose just to make sure it ran. Odd thing is you just bump the key after it goes through its clicking ritual and it fires right up. I'm about to do the tow of shame and take it to a mercruiser mechanic. I'm not going to just throw parts at it.

Comment

Ok scratch that idea if its warm or cold. Yes it might be time to take it in vs chasing your tail on it.

Comment

Called in to drop boat off and talked to what sounded like the least arrogant boat mechanic ever.
                            Said he would deny till his dying day that he said this but put 4oz of mercruiser deep clean in separator and let run for 2 minutes then sit for 24 hrs and then repeat until bottle is gone. Said he has cleared up many fouled injectors like this. After all said and done change the plugs one last time. Whether it works or not, this is my go to guy from now on. No standard bring it in wait two weeks and $100 an hour until we figure it out!

Comment

Did the deep clean solve your issue? I'm fighting similar problems. After replacing both fuel pumps and the fuel pressure regulator, I'm still only getting 22-24 psig.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X