Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Survey for a pre owned boat..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Survey for a pre owned boat..

Family is new to boating- except for me - partial to Tige and want to get in on the cheaper side so we can establish how often the boat will be used. Looking to negotiate on an older model 2007 Tige 20v.
    Would you recommend review of the service records or a survey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you know your way around the boat and it's local to you, you probably wouldn't need a survey. Make sure you do a test run at the lake though. I would always review service records. That year's hour meter is known to reset as well so I'd have that checked to verify the actual engine hours, which will tell you a lot about the boat.

The boat I bought a few months ago was a bit of a disappointment for me. I pretty much bought it sight unseen, minus pictures and videos. It was two states over from me. At one point I asked the seller to take a video pointing out the very worst blemishes on the boat. He said he'd go back and look it over and then concluded that there was nothing worth taking a video of. When I picked it up I immediately found several blemishes in the gel coat. I would have still bought the boat at the asking price, but I went into it thinking the boat was pretty much in perfect condition, which it was far from. So having a survey done by a third party would have been very helpful for me to really know what I was getting.

Comment

I appreciate the info about the hour meter. It has under 175 hours and originally from AZ where I assumed boating was year around - I guess you never know the situation though. I'll check that out for sure.
      How frustrating to take delivery of something you weren't prepared for. Video is a great idea though.
      What did you buy?
      Sounds like you know lots about Tige. What do you think about the 20v. I'm sure I'd love to have more room that would be in 21-23 but this model is local. I keep rationalizing that my kids are small and inpatient. Our last lake trip proved that too many kids on a boat is painful. Lol. So with their learning curve and not knowing how often we will put it to use- I figured we didn't need more than 9 on the boat at a time anyway.

Comment

Good luck with the purchase, the 20V is a great boat. I owned the it's biggest brother the 24ve not to long ago, and hated to get rid of it. The 20V is a sports car! Fast, nimble, and makes a great wake/wave. Where in AZ is it located? Most don't use there boats full time even in AZ. But if they were local to a lake it's not uncommon to do 80-100 hours a year. Best of luck the V is an awesome boat.
        My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Thanks! It was purchased in Mesa AZ- Boulder Boats. Confirmed it had 160 hours. We are excited to get into the 20V and see where it takes us. I think the size will be workable for now. I do love the 24VE. Tons of room. What did you replace it with?

Comment

just my .02...

I started in a supra 20ssv and while it was a good boat, if you are going to primarily surf, the best money I ever spent was upgrading to the 22ve I had.
            if I had the money to do all over again, I would move straight to a 21.5-23ft boat. 20 footers can board well, tow a slalom and tube and will put out an ok surfwave, but if surfing ends up being your thing, you will quickly outgrow a 20ft surfwave. most all the guys I have ever spoke to that started in a 20ft and upgraded said they wished they would have spent a little more up front for the longer boat to avoid the loss of selling and buying again. the Tige rzr is about the only exception I have seen to the 20ft with the convex vx.

either way, good luck and you will have lots of great family memories to come....
            2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
            2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
              just my .02...

I started in a supra 20ssv and while it was a good boat, if you are going to primarily surf, the best money I ever spent was upgrading to the 22ve I had.
              if I had the money to do all over again, I would move straight to a 21.5-23ft boat. 20 footers can board well, tow a slalom and tube and will put out an ok surfwave, but if surfing ends up being your thing, you will quickly outgrow a 20ft surfwave. most all the guys I have ever spoke to that started in a 20ft and upgraded said they wished they would have spent a little more up front for the longer boat to avoid the loss of selling and buying again. the Tige rzr is about the only exception I have seen to the 20ft with the convex vx.

either way, good luck and you will have lots of great family memories to come....
              Appreciate the info. I figured this might be the case. My kids just had their first lake experience a couple of weeks ago in a boat we rented. They loved. I was underwhelmed. We had no intention of getting into a boat this summer. After the experience renting - we just ran across this 20v. We are at least an hour from a lake. So there were concerns also about how much we would get out. If all works out this one will give us a couple of years and I'm sure we will have to look to upgrade. As it was we were throwing away too much money on rentals that were sub par. I haven't wake surfed before but look forward to figuring it out. We will see how things go. Haven't been on the water in years so happy to get back there !

Comment

A good friend of mine has a 2006 20V. I've worked on it a bunch with him (installed ballast system/FAE/fluid and impeller changes) and it's a great boat. It does well on the water but is definitely a bit cramped. Just thinking of having 9 people on one makes me laugh! It'd be pretty crowded not to mention I think that's the placarded coast guard capacity. It is realistically best for 6 tops. If you're ok with a smaller boat there's nothing wrong with it but it'd really surprise you the size difference between the 20' and 22' boats. What are they asking for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
                  A good friend of mine has a 2006 20V. I've worked on it a bunch with him (installed ballast system/FAE/fluid and impeller changes) and it's a great boat. It does well on the water but is definitely a bit cramped. Just thinking of having 9 people on one makes me laugh! It'd be pretty crowded not to mention I think that's the placarded coast guard capacity. It is realistically best for 6 tops. If you're ok with a smaller boat there's nothing wrong with it but it'd really surprise you the size difference between the 20' and 22' boats. What are they asking for it?
                  They're asking 35k. It has all the upgrades and an extended warranty was purchased on it that will be good through Nov 2018. Size will end up an issue. This seems like a well maintained boat though. Looking to find out how much use we get out of it. The thought was to keep it a couple of years. If we use it like I hope then an upgrade - which will definitely include size. I expect 70% of the time it will just be 4 of us.

Comment

I had my 90 sunsport marine surveyed before the person would buy it. So I had the dealer who was brokering my 22i do the same. Cracked block, seems they didn't winterize the heater core lines and it backed up. Seller said, I have it sold and it has to be fixed so dealer put a Jasper motor in it. Same price to me so I got a boat with less hours and a marine mechanic did the work.

Comment

Fichera - I'm ready sell my late 2008 22ve with 09 Gel coat, ~520 hours, custom ballast of 2250 lbs, vision air seat, and is in very good condition for $40K! I have PM'd my number to you.

Comment

Fichera, did you purchase that 20V?

Depending on budget my old VE is for sale at a dealer near you and could help make the connections to get you in-touch and could speak well at lengths about exactly what I did to the boat. It has a ton of surf gear on it, you wouldn't find another boat like it, I know cause I was only the 2nd guy to ever to install Go Surf Assist on a 24Ve since December 16'.
                        My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Thegerman618 View Post
                          Fichera, did you purchase that 20V?

Depending on budget my old VE is for sale at a dealer near you and could help make the connections to get you in-touch and could speak well at lengths about exactly what I did to the boat. It has a ton of surf gear on it, you wouldn't find another boat like it, I know cause I was only the 2nd guy to ever to install Go Surf Assist on a 24Ve since December 16'.
                          We did go ahead with the 20V. Took it out last weekend. Kids had a blast. It will end up too small but I figured with their size and limited patience waiting to get behind the boat - this will work for now. But I keep kicking myself thinking I should've waited. Oh well. Once we can be sure we will have the time that it gets good use - it'll be a good upgrade excuse. I haven't learned to surf yet. But that's on my agenda. Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                          X