Hard to turn seawater pump pulley by hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to turn seawater pump pulley by hand

How much resistance should it take to turn the seawater pump pulley by hand with no belt attached? Reason I ask is that I just changed the belt and have had some issues going through belts. I found the old service bulletin regarding the alternator needing a spacer for my serial number engine. I shimmed the lower end of the alternator until the pulley was aligned with the crank pulley as suggested. While reading some old threads that good ol' google brought up a member had said his pump was causing too much drag on his belt causing an issue. So...what's too much drag?

Well, mine does not spin freely, like if you were to spin the water pump pulley, but it shouldn't needs two hands to turn it either. I don't think I could turn it with my pointer finger and thumb either. It takes the whole hand to grab it and turn it with little effort that way. There's lots of drag created by the fins of the impeller. A pulley that is out of alignment will eat belts fast. I'm guessing that was your problem. If the belt is slipping around a pulley, you should hear it squealing.

Comment

Right on!! That is exactly the amount of force I am having to put out to spin it. Good description.

Comment

Working...
      X