Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throttle Controller Very Stiff - How to Fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Controller Very Stiff - How to Fix?

My 'new to me' 05 22v has a stiff controller. At the lake this weekend I noticed the following:

- Lifting the neutral shift lever with fingers to put boat into forward or reverse gear is fairly stiff. It would be hard for young adults and most women I think
    - Pushing the controller handle into the forward idle position (and reverse idle as well), I really can't feel the detent when the shift is complete. The boat is shifting into either gear fine though, I just can't feel it. When pulling the throttle back to neutral, it does catch on the detent.
    - Throttle works fine full range of motion, forward and backwards. It's a tad stiff but while not silky smooth it's acceptable and I don't feel any binding. It's stiff enough that I don't think a rogue wave would move it while underway.

What I've done so far:

Since the throttle seems smooth enough I focused on the transmission shift linkage. I removed the swivel connection from the tranny shifter and tested the controller. If felt exactly the same so I'm thinking the shifter and linkage is fine. So I'm thinking it's something with the controller

Questions:
    Is the controller unit serviceable?
    How do I gain access to it? I unscrewed the throttle release button (as you can see in the pic) but it didn't help in the removal of the lever or the chrome ring. Do I have to remove the whole panel the controller is attached into to gain access to the back side?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
    Attached Files

There's a grub screw underneath on the chrome ring to release it, its fiddly to work on with the TAPS wiring but if your careful it's doable

on my 06 20i the panel actually fits over the whole throttle and chrome ring, but it looks like yours wouldn't.

have you looked behind if for clues from under the helm area?
    Last edited by ChrisSnow; 06-14-2016, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisSnow View Post
      There's a grub screw underneath on the chrome ring to release it, its fiddly to work on with the TAPS wiring but if your careful it's doable

on my 06 20i the panel actually fits over the whole throttle and chrome ring, but it looks like yours wouldn't.

have you looked behind if for clues from under the helm area?
      I have not looked yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Small allen set screw at the 6 o'clock position.

Comment

Originally posted by jimidemo View Post
          Small allen set screw at the 6 o'clock position.
          At this point I would like to expose the controller so I can disconnect the cables and see if the controller is indeed the problem or the throttle and/or transmission cables need replacing. Just to confirm the steps:

1) unscrew neutral throttle button from center hub
          2) loosen but not remove Allen set screw at bottom of handle - this should allow the handle and chrome ring to be removed
          3) remove the side panel covering the controller - I noticed about a dozen screws with snap on covers that hold on this padded panel.
          4) remove cables - hopefully won't have to unmount the controller to do this.

Sound like a plan?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X