Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 21i starting and shifting issues - Boat newb, pic inside

Hey all,

First of all, forgive my absolutely inadequate knowledge of these things. I've had this boat about a month and a half now closing in on two months and so far haven't had any problems. Took her out for memorial day weekend and naturally had problems right off the bat!

First major hurdle was that I could not for the life of me get the boat to start. Batteries are all good, tries to turn over, even hear it occiasionally fire off, but as soon as I let off the key it dies. After a few attempts I with the motor hood open, I could definitely smell gas. Ran the blower for around 2-3 minutes, turned over on the first click and started up. Then, whenever I would go from reverse to neutral, or from neutral to drive, it would die.

Doing some easy investigating I noticed that the wire/cable running from my ignition/starter motor up to the top of the motor and finally out towards the back of the engine, appeared to be quite loose and have a good bit of slack in it. This cable is attached to some sort of plate that appears to *toggle*(?) back and forth with the starter motor. One end of this cable is threaded onto the plate and the other side has a sort of brass fitting that LOOKS like it should probably be threaded onto the same plate but lacks the threads at all and instead just has a hole for the cable to run through. When I tried to start the boat back up the next time, I gave this cable an ever so slight push and it fired up immediately. When I held it in place it also shifts in and out of gear without dying. Here is a picture of the cable I'm talking about:

Unfortunately, I don't have a better picture of the side of the engine, where the plate it attaches to is at, but I am pretty sure it is this:

Now, I could very easily be 100% wrong about that part, so please forgive me if that doesnt' sound right.

Here's another picture I found of what I think is the plate this cable attaches to:

So, does that seem to make sense to anyone? If I take the slack out of the post bracket cable where the brass fitting that should be threaded but isn't, is located, the toggle plate functions quicker and easier, making the engine turn over quickly rather than fail to start and removes my inability get in and out of gear.

If so, is this something relatively easy to fix? Meaning, could I do it with some hand tools and an afternoon, or is this something i need to take to a marine engine shop to have them do? For now, I have some fairly high strength wire holding the slackcable against the bracket in order to keep the boat from dying when going in and out of gear. It functioned fine all weekend after I put that in play, but I'd ultimately like to fix it so it runs as it should.

Thanks!

That is the servo motor and throttle cable for the Perfect Pass. The servo motor should take all slack out of the cable when you turn the key to the on position. See if you can twist the knob on the servo motor, it might be frozen and not working.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
      That is the servo motor and throttle cable for the Perfect Pass. The servo motor should take all slack out of the cable when you turn the key to the on position. See if you can twist the knob on the servo motor, it might be frozen and not working.
      Will definitely try this. There is a knob right on that motor and a sticker that says "turn clockwise". I also noticed that during starting it just kinda flops back and forth and doesn't stay steady - i'll see if I can tighten it up.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X