2006 Ve V-drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2006 Ve V-drive

what type of oil are you suppose to use in the v-drive?

The red light came on, last trip out last year and so I tore into the motor and found that the V-drive doesn't have any oil on the dipstick. Anyone know why this would be empty, it hasn't been changed in a few years but why would it use this oil somewhere, or is there probably a leak I will have to fix?

IMG_4178-1.jpg
    Last edited by ib2bige; 03-19-2016, 05:59 PM.

I answered my own question on the oil type, found a tag on the side that says SAE 30. But does anyone have any ideas of why this oil would be empty? There is no signs of it leaking.

Comment

30W is correct, but use non-detergent rather then regular engine oil. Could be leaking into the raw water line. Pull the STBD side hose and see if its slick inside. Otherwise, top it off and check it often.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have the same boat, same V drive. You're correct about the SAE 30W, it takes about a quart and use the heavy duty non-detergent type.

I'm relatively new to the boat, so take the following for what it is

First thing I would do is get a fluid extractor and pull the remaining oil out and see what it looks like. The condition of the oil will tell you a lot. Refill to the proper level with new oil. Make some notes about where the level is compared to where the boat is parked. For example the level might change a tad whether you are in your driveway or on the water. Notes will help you see if the level is dropping. Clean the outside of the V drive casing well so you can watch for leaks later. On your first trip out make sure to check it a few times and check for leaks.

This might be overkill, but I would change the oil a second time after a few outings, to clear out any of the contaminates that might remain after the first change. Again, probably overkill but oil is cheap compared to your v drive. Might be wise to take a look at your transmission fluid as well and change it as well. If you have the Velvet Drive 1:1 like me you want to use ATF Dex/Merc III.

In the future, a lot of people have recommended to change the oil, tranny, and v drive fluids every fall before winterization. Also, changing the fluids every 50 hours was also recommended to me. Changing the Tranny and V drive oil every 50 hours might be overkill, but it doesn't take too much time or money so it wouldn't hurt either.

Let us know how that oil looks.

Comment

Originally posted by killerbren View Post
          I have the same boat, same V drive. You're correct about the SAE 30W, it takes about a quart and use the heavy duty non-detergent type.

I'm relatively new to the boat, so take the following for what it is

First thing I would do is get a fluid extractor and pull the remaining oil out and see what it looks like. The condition of the oil will tell you a lot. Refill to the proper level with new oil. Make some notes about where the level is compared to where the boat is parked. For example the level might change a tad whether you are in your driveway or on the water. Notes will help you see if the level is dropping. Clean the outside of the V drive casing well so you can watch for leaks later. On your first trip out make sure to check it a few times and check for leaks.

This might be overkill, but I would change the oil a second time after a few outings, to clear out any of the contaminates that might remain after the first change. Again, probably overkill but oil is cheap compared to your v drive. Might be wise to take a look at your transmission fluid as well and change it as well. If you have the Velvet Drive 1:1 like me you want to use ATF Dex/Merc III.

In the future, a lot of people have recommended to change the oil, tranny, and v drive fluids every fall before winterization. Also, changing the fluids every 50 hours was also recommended to me. Changing the Tranny and V drive oil every 50 hours might be overkill, but it doesn't take too much time or money so it wouldn't hurt either.

Let us know how that oil looks.
          I drained all the oil out and changed it. It looked good, no debris or metal shavings at all, thank goodness! Filled it back up and plan to check it often. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
            30W is correct, but use non-detergent rather then regular engine oil. Could be leaking into the raw water line. Pull the STBD side hose and see if its slick inside. Otherwise, top it off and check it often.
            Couldn't get the hose off, without cutting it, and I don't want to have to replace the entire thing. So I'll be checking it regularly. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X