Mechanical points to electric conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanical points to electric conversion

I have an '08 5.7 marine power with the HVS distributor cap. The cap and rotor for this thing is like $80. Seems a little high to me, but I guess it is a boat isn't it. Looking online I have found a couple of kits that switch it from mechanical to electrical ignition. Has anyone ever done this? Some even say you never have to replace the points again. Just curious to see if anyone has done it yet.
    Sometimes you have to do what feels good, rather than what feels right.

Your 2008 motor will not use points. Generally speaking, most fuel injected motors will not use points. You are likely noticing the difference between the marine Chevy small block and the LS style motor where the LS does t have a distributor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Yep your engine is 100% electronic ignition. Beyond that, there is coil on and coil near plug meaning each spark plug has its one coil. Im not sure that conversion would be worth it, if it could be done.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Maybe he meant '08 as in 1908.

Comment

I think he is reffering to the fact that it has a distributor with the flat cap with the wires coming out the side and wants to go to a crank triggered ignition with coil packs or coil over, but that would be a lot more expensive so im not sure what he is talking about suggest picture of distributor!

Comment

Working...
          X