Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking Exhaust Pipes flooding boat

Boat is a '98 Pre 22i.

So this summer I battled these two exhaust pipes leaking. Burnt out one bilge trying to keep up and attempted to use some waterweld (doesn't work) to slow it down. These two pipes look like they are made of some sort of fiberglass / plastic combination - not really sure. The leak is pretty much where the diameter changes on the pipe.

Question - is there a good way to repair these properly so it holds (boat is in the water 5 months of the year) and second, if the only solution is to replace, where on earth would I order these from.

Next semi-related question - during one flood episode when I was away for a week, the water got over the carpet level, thus flooding the transmission (Velvet Drive) with water entering through dipstick. Flushed this out a few times to get back to normal, but it seems now when my boat is in neutral, I have enough forward thrust at idle to move my dock around. Is tranny screwed or is this something adjustable? Boat run fine on the water in forward and reverse - just no neutral now.

Thanks guys.

Scott
    Attached Files

A lot of us have tried to repair these to not much success. I tried a couple different epoxys that would only work for a short amount of time.

I ended up ordering stainless steel pipes from FAE. Not a leak since. Call Larry - great to work with!

Comment

X2. Yep call Larry at fae. I had his first set of stainless straight pipes and love them. Couple years and no problems.

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys. Larry mentioned to me that they would be pretty loud and suggested putting baffles in as well. Did he do that with yours and I'm wondering how loud he may be talking about. I don't mind a little rumble on the lake, but just trying to get a feel for if I need baffles of not? Either way, Im gonna get him to build me some pipes, so great advice and contact info. Much appreciated.

Comment

You can repair them but you have to lay some glass on there with some resin and build it back up.

Comment

Yeah it's pretty loud without the FAE. I like the sound of the pipes but it was too loud for me. We ran it without the FAE for a weekend before putting the FAE on - we couldn't really talk in the boat without screaming once the exhaust was out of the water...

With the FAE it is extremely quiet!! If you are not going to get the FAE I would suggest the baffles.
            Last edited by jslayde1; 09-22-2015, 01:29 PM. Reason: better explanation

Comment

If the boat's in the water 5 months out of the year, be sure to bond the pipes and all the other underwater metal or just eliminate them and run a single length of hose from the down pipes to the transom. The more joints you have the more possibilities for leaks.
              Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
              X