350 MAG WONT START.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

350 MAG WONT START.

Filled with gas and cruised to our dock and had dinner. Went for a drive after dinner and then back to the dock to hang out til after dark. Got ready to go home and boat didn't start. Got towed to loading area and trailered boat. Talked with several people and fuel pump seemed likely so I bought a new ($350) fuel pump and installed and boat has same issue. (I guess the fuel pump was not bad after all). It will run if I pour gas down the throttle body and keep it flowing but once I stop pouring fuel in it, it dies. What else can it be? Oh I also bypassed the added inline fuel filter in case it was clogged. Plan on buying the screw on fuel filter tomorrow to see if it has an issue but I doubt it. Any info will help.

Chris
    2002 Tigé 20i TAPS
    350 MAG MPI

The injectors are not firing and could be a major issue, here's why: the injectors get their input from the ecm injector driver which reads the distributor firing location and then signals the injectors to fire in the correct order. What you're experiencing is pointing to an injector driver failure which would mean you need a new ECM. Unfortunately, the mercruiser MEFI 1, 2 and 3 ECM's are no longer available but you may be able to get a reflashed unit from Arizona speed and marine. First thing to test is fuel pressure (32 psi +- 2psi). If it's within range, you'll need to get the computer checked and if that reads fine, the injectors checked. If they fire then the problem is the ECM and you'll need to get another one.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Ouch. Sounds like I'm not boarding this weekend. Also sounds like a problem out of my league. I may have to drop off at boat shop in the morning:/ thanks for your input. I really appreciate it

Comment

How it happened seems weird. I drove boat all day and parked at our dock for dinner. When I went to go home it would not start. Seems odd that nothing happened to cause this. It was literally just sitting. But weirder things have happened I suppose. I'll. pass this info on to the mechanic as a starting point. Thank you a million man!

Comment

Posted on your other thread sorry to hear man, good luck
          My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

These guys have MEFI ECM replacements if needed.
            http://www.obd2allinone.com/mefiecms.asp
            Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Working...
            X