Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat has problem starting after driving for a while, then sitting for a while......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat has problem starting after driving for a while, then sitting for a while......

Hello All.
    Looking for some help here. I have a 2004 22i, fuel injection, duel fuel pump, Chevy motor vortec motor wake board boat (the engine that comes with the boat). We go out to Havasu a lot. For the last 2 seasons we have had a real hard time starting the boat after a long drive and then a long sit, for example. Each and every time I drop the boat in the water for its first time of the trip, it fires right up. If we go right outside the marina and wakeboard or entertube, I can turn off and turn on the boat as many times as I want with NO PROBLEMS what so ever. As soon as I take a long drive up to Topac Bar or Pirates Bar, sit there and have lunch with the family and swim....etc. Pretty much every time we go to leave, it will not stay started. It will turn over, but then die. I have to grab some starter fluid and spray it in the Spark Arrestor and then it starts up and stays started. I could then drive all the way back down river to the lake to Wakeboard and Entertube again and turn on and off the boat as many times as I like....as long as it is not TOO LONG of a pause (getting someone out of the water and someone else in to wakeboard/entertube). But, if we were to go to the channel or somewhere else to hand out for a while (1-3 hours) and then go to start up the boat, it would most likely do the same thing again, turn over but not stay started. I get the good ol' starter fluid out, spray the spark arrestor and it fires up and we are off and running just fine.

I have taken it to 2 different mechanics who have done A LOT of work on it from: season service maintenance (oil, impeller, water pump, plugs, fuel filter....etc) to big time work such as: changed the fuel pressure regulator, cleaned out the fuel filter cavity, went through all of the fuel lines, high pressure fuel pump and fuel plumbing system..... still having the problem.

Any sort of helpful info would be greatly appreciated so I can get around this and start enjoying my boat again with my family.

Thank you!

Guys is this good old fashioned vapor lock at the low pressure pump?
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

Yup, vapor lock. If you graph the engine temperature vs time after shutting it down hot, the peak occurs about 60-90 minutes after turning it off. The injector rail is now very hot and fuel pressure likely low (injectors leak and/or pressure bleeds off at regulator), high heat and low pressure means boiling...

Try idling for a while after a high RPM run, blower on while idling and after. If that doesn't work find out why pressure is bleeding down.

Comment

Vapor lock for sure. Call the factory, they make an additional fitting for the boat that will cure it. I had the same problem with my 2007 22i

Comment

Working...
        X