Drive shaft end play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive shaft end play

Doing some visual inspections and noticed the drive shaft was polished near the cutlass bearing. I would suspect this could only happen during forward motion. How much endplay should there be and is this normal? I am trying to catch any major breakage before it happens. Is there anything else in terms of inspections that I can do to ensure a lasting driveline. I change all fluids every 50 hours. And inspect fluids before every outing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look for the same thing at the coupler and/or try to push the shaft back into position. It looks like the coupler set screws for the shaft may be loose or the backing nut or the coupler bolts.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

I tried to move the shaft in and out but it was solid. The boats in the driveway for a week so I will pull seat and check the v-drive flange set screws (is that what your referring too?). I did put a new prop on over the winter and had a hell of time getting the old one off. I wonder if my hammering on the prop puller moved the shaft out. I actually had to heat the prop with a heat gun before it broke free.

Comment

Loose engine mounts?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Trying moving the prop up, down, left, right. Is there any play in it? Any leaks from the shaft seal?

Comment

Originally posted by chrissnow View Post
            Loose engine mounts?

They are tight. Boat just turned 200 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by SBM1234 View Post
              Trying moving the prop up, down, left, right. Is there any play in it? Any leaks from the shaft seal?
              It's tight. It will only move in a rotating direction. The shaft seal did leak first day out and needed compressed.

Comment

I got inside and need some guidance. The flange doesn't look like the one in the manual or what others have described. Here is a pic and it looks like this all the way around. Don't see any set screws.

Comment

Are the two couplers bolted together tight? Looks like there is a gap.

Comment

I beleive there is a bolt in the end of the shaft to connect the coupler to the shaft.
                    13263-1-lg_1.jpg
                    Andy Nesbitt

Comment

Originally posted by ajnesbitt View Post
                      I beleive there is a bolt in the end of the shaft to connect the coupler to the shaft.
                      [ATTACH]41117[/ATTACH]
                      That is a nut on the end of the shaft holding the coupler on. There could be a set screw into the nut to stop it from backing off.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
                        Are the two couplers bolted together tight? Looks like there is a gap.
                        Pulled seat last night and sure enough the four flange bolts were very loose.
                        I also found the set screw that holds the bolt inside the flange, which I checked and was tight.
                        Going to put it back together tonight and check flange alignment.

Comment

If its been loose it would probably be wise to replace the bolts. Friction normally takes the load not the bolts.

Comment

Drive shaft end play

Originally posted by chrissnow View Post
                            If its been loose it would probably be wise to replace the bolts. Friction normally takes the load not the bolts.

Yep and threads got worn from being loose. Got some new ones today. Same kind just a 1/4" longer. Couldn't find any same length. If too long will cut down and have a machinist here at work do it so they are exact same length and weight. Not sure if that would matter but can't hurt.

Last edited by Captainkurk72; 08-08-2015, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Only issue might be the shank is too long and the nut gets to the end of the thread? Probably fine just check!

Comment

Working...
                              X