Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering

my 2000 2300v has play in the steering wheel. i can turn the wheel a few inches before it actually turns the boat. Is it time for a new cable or is there some adjustment i can make? it turns good once you get past the "play" in the wheel??

thanks for any input!

rick

There will bea Little play. Possibly not that much though. I would check that nothing is loose before replacing.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Check especially back at the "rudder box" area (the mechanism where the cable attaches to the pivoting rudder components under the engine). Things are supposed to have some play in them back there, but too much and you could get exactly the behavior you're describing. None of my boats have ever behaved like yours does. I'd check it out.

Comment

I would also suggest replacing the helm, they're sold as a kit from teleflex and not much more than just a cable. I suggest because the amount of play you're describing could be extremely worn helm drive gears too. I'm going to do mine as a set before the reunion because after driving Brad's boat a couple weeks ago I realize my steering is pretty stiff.
        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
        X