HELP! 350 MAG MPI won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! 350 MAG MPI won't start

I have had my 2001 21V for 2 years now, and it has had some starter problems since day one. From time to time I would get the dreaded "click" when starting, but could always get it to turn over with repeated turns of the key. Worst case scenario I had to jump the slave solenoid a few times to get home. After dewinterizing I cannot get it to start so far this year. I am on the 3 week wait list to get into the local Mercruiser repair shop, but desperately want to get on the water before that. Here is what I have done so far:

- Checked all cable connections (mechanical connection and with a test light/voltmeter)
    - Neutral safety switch
    - Charged battery to 100%
    - Replaced slave solenoid
    - Replaced starter
    - Checked circuit breaker on top of engine
    - Jumped new starter directly from battery to ensure it was good and engine was not seized

All I get is a click, either at the slave solenoid, or the starter solenoid. I am ready to jerk the wheel into a bridge abutment, as they say. Any ideas?

could be the ignition switch i had this happen on an old hot rod before

Comment

Seems like my 01 20i had some push type reset fuses on the dash or somewhere in that area and they tripped one time while beached. It took a lot of looking before I figured it out and it never happened again so never figured what did it. Might look at all your dash fuses.

Next check your ground connections from terminals from starter for corrosion or bad contact. Had a freightliner that did this for several years and was intermittent. Finally found a corroded butt connector from starter solenoid. I got lucky that it arced while trying to start.

Comment

Forgot to mention I did replace the ignition switch as well. If the test light is good at the slave solenoid, and at the starter solenoid (yellow/red wire), shouldn't that mean everything from the switch back is working? If so, is it possible that even though that is working, there just isn't enough amperage to make the starter work (I guess test light only shows 12V, not amperage)?

Comment

Problem solved. The ignition lead (Yellow w/Red) was on the wrong small solenoid terminal. When I pulled the old starter out I must have had it rotated as I disconnected the wire since I was sure I had it on the correct post. Old starter was in fact dead, and was giving me the same exact symptoms so I assumed it was a problem elsewhere in the wiring. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
          X