2005 Tige 22V Replacement Alternator - Mercruiser 350 MAG MPI 315HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2005 Tige 22V Replacement Alternator - Mercruiser 350 MAG MPI 315HP

I was quoted a replacement alternator for $275 and installed for a total of $600. This is at a local, small boat shop that I used to store my boat for the winter and was found as part of their "spring startup" for $130 where they check all the fluid levels, trailer tire pressure and brakes, etc. I have two questions:

1. Does this seem reasonable for the alternator? Does anyone know the model number of the replacement or have web links to see if there's any better pricing? Is there much of a difference in quality between new, rebuilt, or aftermarket?

2. They told me 4 hours for labor, which my first reaction was that it sounded outrageous and was confirmed by my calling of three local mercruiser service shops that quoted me 1-1.5, 2, and 1.5-2 hours. Could this be because the other dealers are not familiar with Tige and how difficult it is to get at the alternator?

Seems really high but my 1st q's is it even broke? Did your boat run fine last yr? Spring start up should be starting up the boat after a simple check of fluids and trial run. That is if the boat was winterized properly and fluids were changed then. Kinda sounds like a way for a business to make money, which wouldn't include myself if I parked my baby there. Any way don't just replace the alternator cuz it's old unless it won't run at 14+ volts on a volt meter cranked and tested at the battery terminals. Trust me there are other things that the boat will eventually ask you for.

Comment

Try this link:

http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-7743-mercruiser.aspx

I believe others on this forum have recommended this company before - looks like the alternator prices range from $65 to $350.

I would be willing to bet you could change it yourself in less than an hour....Just my 2 cents...

Comment

We had to replace ours about a year ago and also had some ridiculous quotes to install it.

I consider myself average at mechanical work and it took less than an our to complete.
        It would probably have taken take 30 minutes if I paid more attention to the serpentine belt routing.
        The only real trick was taking the tension off of the belt at the pulley.
        It's one of those things where you can 'feel' the bolt/nut to loosen, but can't really see it.

I believe the alternator from DB Electrical was under $200.. and yes it was the marine version.

Good luck!
        2003 Tige 22V w/315hp Merc.. and loving it!!

Comment

Working...
        X