Sprung a leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprung a leak

First time out this season & have a new leak for the year. Picked up a full belly of water in no time. Bilge pump must not be automatic like I thought it was.

Pulled it out as soon as we realized we were taking on water quick. Drained 156 gallons from the new ballast bag & about 500 gallons from the bilge on the way back home.
    Put on fake-a-lake & no engine leaks; I was thinking bad winterization of block.
    Checked connections on new ballast bag,, put fake-a-lake on & filled/drained. No issues.
    I have the seat pulled and am going to try to check it in the water again tomorrow with the floor up. Hoping something simple. Any guesses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prop shaft seal possibly or the packing around the rudder maybe?? Just first two that come to mind if it wasn't leaking out of water

Comment

X2 on the shaft Seal
      My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

T-storm today so decided to do another dry run in the driveway with a fake-a-lake. Very light drip after about 10 minutes. Good solid leak from somewhere after it warmed up but I couldn't see where it was coming from & it also started pouring rain enough that the bimini didn't help any more. Also have exhaust smoke at :20, to which I killed engine immediately. Another random thought, I'm due for a new impeller.

Comment

Side note as I know you got a new custom sac. Make sure you grind of or cover the screws from the seat bases that hold the velcro. Also the rear one piece seat has two large bolts that go through. Wouldn't want you to put a hole in your nice new fat sac.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
            Side note as I know you got a new custom sac. Make sure you grind of or cover the screws from the seat bases that hold the velcro. Also the rear one piece seat has two large bolts that go through. Wouldn't want you to put a hole in your nice new fat sac.
            Haha yup. Almost forgot but remembered just in time to pull the screws out of the seat Velcro. Everything else appears to clear just fine.

Comment

Well now I've been sitting in the driveway with the FAL on, hottest day of the year mind you, & not a single drop. NOT ONE. I like things fixing themselves if I knew what was wrong in the first place. I hate things fixing themselves & then popping up at the worst times though. I checked all of the winterizing plugs & everything was tight.

Comment

...jinxed it. Engine got hot. Shut it down. Still no leak though. What's going on here?

Comment

Did you check you oil for water?
                  "Charlie don't surf"

Comment

as my understanding running in the driveway the motor will get hot. as far as the leak i really have no idea the only thing i can tell you is check all the hoses and see what you come up with.

Comment

Forgot to winterize the heater. Smh. Put in a union until a new 1 is in stock so we can keep using it.

Impeller was shot as expected also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I would check the weep hole on the circulating pump for water. Also, my PSS dripless shaft seal had loosened but the only way it would leak was if it was slightly jarred. Found it by forcing it down while in water. Just some thoughts.

Comment

So the heater core?
                          Last edited by boatwakes; 07-02-2015, 04:54 AM.
                          Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
                            So the heater core?
                            yup. For some reason I could have sworn that I crawled in there last year & was thinking that it was electric, so I didn't have them winterize it at the closer mechanic. nope.

Comment

Working...
                            X